free hit
counters
Lower Arm Trunnion Bolt - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
robertcosta

Lower Arm Trunnion Bolt

This has got me beat...one side of the car...no problems..undo the nut...support the arm...tap out the bolt.

The other side ... bolt just won't budge! I don't particularly want to destroy the trunnion if I don't have to...but....

Any help appreciated!

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone :-(

1977 S1 Esprit, in bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The parts falling from this car are examples of the finest British craftsmanship”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A few options spring to mind.

Penetrating oil

Rotating the bolt using a breaker bar and socket

Heating the trunnion (brass expands more than the steel bolt

Removing the lower arm to work on it.

I'd suggest them in that order.

Andy

Hi Andy,

The weird thing is that the bolt rotates quite easily but won't move through the lower arm holes.

I wonder if the holes aren't lining up and binding as you try to push the bolt through.

Robert

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise

1977 S1 Esprit, in bits

Sydney, Australia

“The parts falling from this car are examples of the finest British craftsmanship”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

In that case it's probably the steel plates either side of the trunnion that are catching. put the nut back on so that it's just proud of the end of the bolt, and tap it gently with a small hammer.

Andy

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

I've used all manner of force..from light taps to heavy blows!

Me thinks I've got to somehow cut through the bolt.

Robert

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise

1977 S1 Esprit, in bits

Sydney, Australia

Try a G cramp and a socket over the head of the bolt. It should then push the bolt through, or at least start it.

If you cut it through you may still have the same issue, just not have the option to tighten it up and do it later.

Andy

Andy,

We must think alike! I don't think my G clamp is big enough 'cause it wouldn't budge...need a bigger clamp!

I'll keep at it and see.

Rober

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise

1977 S1 Esprit, in bits

Sydney, Australia