free hit
counters
Clutch - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Is the Valeo Reanult gearbox clutch on the Esprit SE / S4 the same as the Reanault GTA V6 ?

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Sky.

Well here is the SP. The Valeo cutch kit for the Renault GTA & Turbo is

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

If i were you - get an upgraded 25/35% for about double that price - you won't be disappointed.

See Marcus PUK or R+B - all valeo, all good.

Rog

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Looking at

http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk/clutches_detail.cfm

This lists the Esprit and the Alpine clutches it shows the same part number for the Esprit and the V6 Turbo but not for the V6. Athough the bhp figures it quotes for the Esprit are not for 2.2 chargecooled.

This site does not seem to differentiate between the two Alpines.

http://www.alpinerenaulttuning.co.uk/catal...?products_id=63

Nigel

Edited by Nigel
If i were you - get an upgraded 25/35% for about double that price - you won't be disappointed.

See Marcus PUK or R+B - all valeo, all good.

Rog

Ok Rog. How much difference does it really make? Can you quantify it mate ?

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Looking at

http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk/clutches_detail.cfm

This lists the Esprit and the Alpine clutches it shows the same part number for the Esprit and the V6 Turbo but not for the V6. Athough the bhp figures it quotes for the Esprit are not for 2.2 chargecooled.

This site does not seem to differentiate between the two Alpines.

http://www.alpinerenaulttuning.co.uk/catal...?products_id=63

Nigel

Hi Nigel. Cross referencing the parts lists for the chargecooled and non chargecooled 264bhp / 215bhp, using the Lotus parts lists, shows that the same lotus part numbers for both, so it would appear they are the same.

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Daniel. That is not correct. Lotus buy in from Valeo / Sachs. Checked with Dave Massey when making my enquiry. Same as the Renault clutch. Also checked with Valeo / Sachs.

You can get an upgraded clutch. Marcus at PUK can supply these. They are specified for an increased torque performance of +25% minimum i believe.

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Well Paul Im going on what Lotus tech department told me. I have seen a Renault clutch only last 6000 miles when installed in an S4. I can only comment from my own experience.

Give it a go by all means.

Which Renault Clutch have you tried ?

Hi Dan. Its not a "Renault" clutch. Its a Valeo / Sachs mate. Bought the clutch for an Esprit . Same part numbers as the original I have removed. Same Valeo part numbers as the Renault equivalent.

I would point out that I do not need to replace the original clutch. I am doing it purely as an addition to other significant work undertaken whilst the engine is out. The original has done 25k and is well within the tolerances specified for replacement.

I would suggest that although the friction material will always make a difference, it is governed also by the spring rates in not only the clutch plate, but also the clutch cover.

Hey Ho. Interesting stuff..............

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Well, I've bought a Lotus clutch from JAE, and as usual the customer service was great and the price was decent.

I just wonder if we're all missing on some real savings and easier sourcing like we have found with other Lotus/GM parts. There seem to be many opinions about our clutches but very few facts. The clutch may be the exact same as one found on the Renault...it may be improved somehow for our cars by Lotus...and some aftermarket clutches are offered for sale by PUK which are improved by a certain percentage, but nobody knows what base data that percentage is calculated upon.

We've cracked the secrets of so many other "Lotus" parts...why is the clutch so mysterious?

Its a fair point Dave. Its finding a reference point i suppose. Still, lets keep on it, you never know. Its good to get feedback from others experience to.

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

A friend of mine is a district manager for a large auto parts distributor here in North Carolina. Once we get the Lotus clutch, we're going to do some more digging and see what we can come up with. If we arrive at a solid conclusion, I'll try to get the information up on the Lotus parts cross reference. I'm planning on adding a chip and doing some other modifications soon, so I might need to try another new clutch sooner than later :D