free hit
counters
Is it possible to revarnish the walnut dashbord ? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JeanEd

Is it possible to revarnish the walnut dashbord ?

Hi there,

The varnish of my "walnut finish" dashbord is "faded" and "dull" (please excuse my poor english vocabulary). Just have a look at the picture below, and at the color difference between dashbord and wood on left door... !

1. is it real wood below the varnish ?

2. it is possible to revarnish or make revarnish it ?

Thank you B)

dashft7.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It looks the same as was on my Esprit, and that was real wood (OK veneer, but that veneer is real wood).

I haven't had to re-varnish mine, but I did for the Europa, the original is a 2 part lacquer, but you could use a normal varnish, or crystal clear (somethimes referred to as water clear) resin used in carbon fibre/ glass fibre applications. then you'd need to sand it quite well and cut it like paint to get a reasonable finsih.

Andy

yes you can re-varnish it, a polyurathane one will do , rub down the old varnish and put a thin coat on, let it dry, sand it and de nib it then repeat this as many times as you want, the final coat when dry can be polished up.

when you work on it get some double sided tape and fix it to a board that way you dont have to worry about breaking it, get a low to medium tack tape though.

Edited by bigsi

if your not sure about doing it you can send it to me and i will re-finish it for you as i trained as a fine wood finisher when i did my master carpentry with my old carpenters years ago

Nice proposition !! My concern is not the re-varnish operation (as I have an uncle who is a "retirement carpenter"), but the disassemblage of the dash...

It may be easier overall to remove the binnacle, the bolts that hold the pieces on are captive in the trim, so you need to have 6 inch long 1/4 inch thick fingers to easily get to the nuts.

There are a number (4?) of fixings on the main centre section, some near the outer edge but hard to get at without first removing the side pieces and side dials. The side ones are not as bad.

If you remove the binnacle (4 bolts underneath it) you can then get to all using long pliers / sockets etc.

Andy