free hit
counters
OPW 654W - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
watership down

OPW 654W

I found an old East Anglian Daily Times insert on the weekend. It was a Road Show held at Chantry Park in Ipswich. I will try to condense the article into something that will sound correct. OPW 654W started life as a metallic blue paint and a red leather interior and was earmarked for the Bond film. The filmakers wanted to maintain continuity with The Spy Who Loved Me, therefore the car had a major strip down which resulted in a white car with chocolate brown Connolly hide interior. The car then set off on its way through France and Italy on its way to the location, which was the island of Corfu. As was usual with major film productions much of the film footage shot, never appeared in the film. When the car was blown up after the baddies ignored the protected sign on the window, as far as the film was concerned, that was the end of OPW 654W. The car was driven back to Norwich in October of that year to be retrofitted again. The "new" Lotus had to look good against the snowy slopes backdrop of Cortina.

It was repainted metallic copper and the interior was now cream gold leather. January 1981 saw the car with dummy number plates OPW 678W. The Olin skis fitted to the back of the car were the actual skis used in the ski chase sequence in For Your Eyes Only. OPW 654W attended the Royal premiere in London on June 24th 1981, has appeared on Noel Edmonds Swap Shop in January 1982,

Jimmy Savilles Jim'll Fix it in February 1982, The Peter Stuyvesent cigarette cimema commercial worldwide. In 1982 the "Show Season" April - September the car was working every weekend raising money for charities. Lotus was hoping to supply the car for the next Bond movie Octopussy.

That's it, maybe you all know most of this but I thought it would be interesting reading

Edited by watership down

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Interesting that this seems to imply there was only one car for "For Your Eyes Only". A copper car was sold on eBay as being the film car and the Keswick Cars Of The Stars museum claimed to have the white one from the film.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

It's now in California :Dpost-87-1192112868.jpg

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Do pay attention Bond...

:D

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

Wasn't the car in the Bond film a 'G' car? The white car in the photo is a Stevens V8 car.

:D Think Pauls been having a bit of fun with his numberplate.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

In california for $40 you can have anything you like on a number plate!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Interesting that this seems to imply there was only one car for "For Your Eyes Only". A copper car was sold on eBay as being the film car and the Keswick Cars Of The Stars museum claimed to have the white one from the film.

I think the "one car turned into two" thing is quite well documented now, but didn't a recent thread on the definitive list of Essex cars suggest the Bond vehicle was originally a low-numbered example?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Funny theres a guy on ebay selling the white bond car now....oh read carefully I dont think it is the orginal car or is it oh no its not a turbo just decals exact replica oh but its got a spoiler!!! Looks like a bit of a wide boi to me!!!!!

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777