free hit
counters
Selling No. 42 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

We've had a few threads on here talking about Esprit prices and how the G-car prices are going up. Well I am selling my JPS and wondered if I have chosen the right price.

I advertised it on Craiglsist for "undewr $11,000" as I want $10.000 for it. Had quite a bit of interest but the first guy to show real interest had some commitments conveniently come up which meant he could offer only $8,000. No thanks.

Another guy, min Kentucky, was all set to buy it unseen when, on the day he was supposed to wire the money, he suddenly had to lend his brother some money and was worried about the accident history. Now the car has no accident history that I know of and this buyer didn't mention anything specific and never answered our questions about what he meant so I think he just got cold feet at buying a car he hadn't seen. Fair enough. Just wish he said the truth.

Now I have a guy in Connecticut show interest but he wants to take the cost of shipping the car from North Carolina to Connecticut off the price.

So my question is, am I asking too much for a JPS car in non-original paint and good but a bit rough around the edges or should I ask more so that when I get knocked down $2000, I still get what I originally wanted?

By the way, I am selling either to get an Elan S4 (just loved mine I had way back when) or to get a turbo to trade some steering luverliness for performance more in keeping with the looks.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Trevor,

Have you ran a CarFax on your own car just to know what it is showing? There might be something on there that may put its history in question, and might need explaining...possibly the reason for the prospective buyer backing out.

I would also advertise on one of the major car selling sites like either collector car trader online or autotrader. I don't think you'll get the coverage you want with just Craigslist.

If your car has no mechanical issues, I don't think $12,000 is too much to ask. I think you'll have to endure a lot of tire kickers before you get what you want ...it is just part of selling a Lotus to someone who is not intimate with the marque. There is also the possibility that you are pricing it too low, so buyers are automatically thinking there is something wrong with it. If you have a website I would put LOTS of photos, and your history with the car....that way you can avoid endless phone calls answering the same questions and will sift out people who are not serious buyers. Might be even good to give a history of the Esprit that led up to your car.

It's all about the marketing. Good Luck with the sale!

Trevor. Sorry to hear you are selling number 42. My honest thoughts on asking price is hold out for what you want if not desparate to sell. There are too many people who have seen 1 or 2 Esprits for sale (usially ebay) and all of a sudden, think they are a price expert on what Esprits are worth. A few comments like ''I've been looking for a while' usially means maybe 2-3 months (we are owners, many have owned their Esprits for years, even decades) so we know what the market place is for them and have a pretty good idea on current value.

I may be able to be persuaded to knock off $200-$300. Buyers want the 'feel good' factor of a good deal,but IMO no way would I drop 20%. Very occationally somebody does buy a very good and very cheap Esprit and well done to them for finding it and buying it. If bought cheap, the seller usially fits into one of four categories IMO. 1. Money is no object really, just selling to fund new Porker - so sells too cheap. 2. Needs cash quickly for whatever reason - so sells too cheap. 3. Car has bad history, stolen damaged, cat C/D maybe - cheap for good reason. 4. Genuinely doesn't seem to know Esprit values - so sells to cheap. (this is the one we all want to find when buying obviously) but the one where most buyers get there info when aquireing their Esprit valueing skills.

Totally up to you really Trevor, but I would say advertise in the right place and you should get in the region of what you think it is worth.

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Trevor, I know I'm a newbie here but I just bought an 84 turbo from the original owner with 50K orignal miles on it (35 on the engine lotus replaced). It has original paint, the body is prestine and almost perfect interior. It has been maintained fairly well (its only been driven about 600 miles in the last 10 years) and been cover in his garage since he's owned it. The owner had all the documentation on the service done to the car as well as the original purchase reciept. He was asking $12K but accepted my offer of $10k. I've posted images of it here Bear in mind he was motivated to sell it becasue he had 3 Harleys that he needed to store in the Esprits place.

:(:D:P

I am shocked you are selling the beast! Hopefully you will stay in the Lotus fraternity. After seeing the car, I can't imagine asking less than 12 for it. It has some rough spots , but it IS a JPS... How many survive in the States today?

Sorry to hear you're selling Trevor! It'll be a great shame to lose you from the S2 throng...how about get an Elan as well!??! :D

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

By the way, I am selling either to get an Elan S4 (just loved mine I had way back when) or to get a turbo to trade some steering luverliness for performance more in keeping with the looks.

I too, have great memories of the Elan, I have had 2, would have loved to get another, but went the Esprit route.

I was driving it to Sydney recently, ( it's a long way ) I was siting there with the air-con on, the CD player, in my recently refurbished leather trim, Thinking, "hey I can get used to this", I'm 57, the Elan is a great car, but not for trips like that.

Just a thought, Roger :D

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

If your car is mechanically sound, I would not take less than $12k for it. Just how 'rough around the edges' is it?

$12k seems to me to be the bottom line price for a good JPS car.

- T

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE