free hit
counters
Engine Oil Drain Sump Plug - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul93Lotus

Engine Oil Drain Sump Plug

Does anyone know of a different style drain plug for a later model 4-pot Esprit that is better than the Cam Cover female hex plug that is on there stock? I spent the better half of a Saturday trying to get mine off because the DPO obviously used a tool not appropriate for the task.

I wanted something that has a conventional hex head like 95% of the cars on the road today. Just curious if anyone has fitted one and where they got it.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Paul,

I don't know if the 89 has the same type of sump plug as your later model, but I got a standard hex head one from JAE or DBE (can't really remember) for about $10 or something as the DPO of my car obviously used a pocket socket set(read adjustable wrench) on it and stripped it to hell!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Not sure if they are interchagable - doesnt the SE have a positive hex on it ?

Internal hexes and cross heads should be banned with a vengance.

Cant remember the thread (3/4 BSP rings a bell) when I have mine off next I am going to bolt a nice stainless hex bar in there.

facebook = [email protected]

Jeff at Jae said that the earlier cars with the 'conventional' hex head style have lower sump capacity...when it went up in capacity, they switched to the female hex plug. That's why the how to on LEW shows a hex head...since his car is an earlier car. I am not sure but this female hex may have started with the S4 in 93 or 94.

Either way they suck....female hex in brass is a bad combination for something that may get frozen.

Jeff at Jae said that the earlier cars with the 'conventional' hex head style have lower sump capacity...when it went up in capacity, they switched to the female hex plug. That's why the how to on LEW shows a hex head...since his car is an earlier car. I am not sure but this female hex may have started with the S4 in 93 or 94.

Either way they suck....female hex in brass is a bad combination for something that may get frozen.

I guess my point was if the hole that the plug goes in is the same size and thread pitch, just put in the standard hex "conventional" style plug so as not to bother with the "allen" head one that will only get rounded off over time in brass.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

The newer sump plug I guess is not the same size. The later one is 20mm. Jeff mentioned that the earlier one had a BSP thread...I don't think the newer one does.

Not yet, though I may have found a source. Since I just put Mobil 1 15-50 in (and now get an oil pressure light at start up...something the Valvoline Racing oil never did by the way), I have kind of put it off. There was someone who posted a good link that will be a good replacement....they stock ALL sizes, some with magnets....

http://www.cgenterprises.com/magneticdrainplugs/

The factory drain plug is the same as the plugs on the cam covers..... :lol:

Edited by Paul93Lotus