free hit
counters
S1 va S2 headlight Lift motors - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 va S2 headlight Lift motors

Can anyone confirm that the headlight lift motors from the S1 and S2 are the same units?

I know the later S1s and S2s had 2 but I have secured an S2 motor and before I commit I was hoping to confirm I can just replace the S1 unit to get operational.

Then I plan to rebuild the original unit as a spare.

DomG

77 S1 Esprit

Dom Giangrasso

1977 S1 Esprit - Lagoon Blue

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be a headlight kind of week.

Well, even though I got no replies here, I have another question.

I got my hands on an S2 headlight motor and it looks identical. However, the microswitches have been replaced by a neat sealed assembly on it.

So, I'd like to use the whole assembly but the color of the wires of this sealed unit don't match my S1 wiring or the diagram.

Its also got different connectors on it.

Can anyone scan the S2 US federal diagram and email it to me? ID is [email protected]

Failing that, anyone willing to describe the connection and colors?

DomG

77 S1 Esprit

NY USA

Dom Giangrasso

I'll scan it tomorrow at work but it's not very clear. The unit on mine is not sealed. I have opened mine up because one headlamp would go up but not come down again. I I remember correctly, the 2 outer wires are fed by the changeover relay, one from the normally-closed side and the other from the normally-open side. Inside the end of the motor where the wires go, they pass via diodes to contacts. A cam is driven off the end of the motor to make or break the connections. Current goes from the contacts to the central wire which feeds the headlamp motor solenoid. So when you turn on the headlamps the changeover solenoid is energized feeding through the diode, contact and central wire to operate the motor solenoid. It remains energized until the cam rotates enough to lift a pin that opens the conact in the switch unit and lowers the other side so the down side is ready for when the changeover solenoid changes state.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I'll scan it tomorrow at work but it's not very clear.  The unit on mine is not sealed.  I have opened mine up because one headlamp would go up but not come down again.  I I remember correctly, the 2 outer wires are fed by the changeover relay, one from the normally-closed side and the other from the normally-open side.  Inside the end of the motor where the wires go, they pass via diodes to contacts.  A cam is driven off the end of the motor to make or break the connections.  Current goes from the contacts to the central wire which feeds the headlamp motor solenoid.  So when you turn on the headlamps the changeover solenoid is energized feeding through the diode, contact and central wire to operate the motor solenoid.  It remains energized until the cam rotates enough to lift a pin that opens the conact in the switch unit and lowers the other side so the down side is ready for when the changeover solenoid changes state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Makes sence in a Lotus srt of way.

I have the Lotus diagram for the S1 but I cannot understand why they would so radically alter the wiring colors. Without fail, not a one matches. Thats why I am curious to see an official S2 print.

I am trying to clear this up by the weekend so I can do a swap.

Dom Giangrasso

Wiring diagram mailed to you

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got it. Well, it does match the wiring on the part. Now to stare at both wiring diagrams (S1 and S2) and figure out how to map one to the other.

looks like they made a few cky design changes besides the two motors so this should be interesting.

My worst case scenairo should only be having the pods go up when the switch if off and go down when it is on. a lead reversal would correct that.

I'll report back once I try it....assuming i don't end up at Hospital.

DomG

Dom Giangrasso