free hit
counters
98 GT3 speedo jumpy/sticky - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GasketsGone

98 GT3 speedo jumpy/sticky

hi

anyone had problems with their (late dash VDO) speedo in their GT3?

it sticks and jumps when the car comes to a halt - say at lred ights....or when switching off will stick but returns to 0mph when turning the ignition on and off....

will it need to be replaced or fixed / reconned?

i ask as this is the only problem (that i could find!) with a GT3 i have placed a deposit on to buy and said i would try to help the soon to be ex owner what is the best thing to do to fix before i hand over the cash for the (excellent!) car.....

cheers and thanks for help...

jim

p.s. had a prob similar on my S4 but that was mechanical speedo and i got it refurbed and refitted and was never a prob again....at the moment the easiest solution looks like simply puttin in a brand new one - at about

Cheers - jim

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
p.s. had a prob similar on my S4 but that was mechanical speedo and i got it refurbed and refitted and was never a prob again....at the moment the easiest solution looks like simply puttin in a brand new one - at about
Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Isn't the later speedo driven off the rear drivers side wheel speed sensor ?

Check that out (next to the ABS sensor) it might be loose or something - they're magnetic so they can pickup little bits of metal as well - just a quick one to try, might help.

facebook = [email protected]

thanks fellas!

i'll pass on the info re checks to make....but if it is the sppedo thats dead how would we go about getting a "sale" new speedo - call lotus direct? motorsport at hethal?????

many thanks again for your help!

regards

jim

(soon to be back in the saddle :respect: )

Cheers - jim

This aint the Red GT3 from LEW is it ?

tis...top of the list.... :cheers:

Cheers - jim

Thats about 300 meters from my house then, I'm in Aylesford too with a Red GT3 - LOL

I know one of the guys relations who lives in the adjacent village with a very nice C4 Corvette B)

If you fancy popping round for a coffee lemme know - if you wanna book it in to be checked, Lipscomb Lotus (main dealer) are about 1 mile away as well - it's a regular car out of the LEF circles (destinctive because there is a bumper sticker) so it's an enthusiast owner so should be a good one.

You get 10% off parts/labour at Lipscomb as a Club Esprit member too :cheers:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

You get 10% off parts/labour at Lipscomb as a Club Esprit member too :)

:yes sent my cheque to LEW Thursday!!!! (finally...after using/browsing the site practically since it came on-line)

and ty once again Bibs as i got a swift response from the nice man at lotus to say the speedo is available if i need it! so all in all a great result....just got wait till next w/e now :D gonna be a long week!!!!!!!

Jonathan - you seriously just live down the street from this car/guy?

i must admit i have kind of gone about the whole thing in the wrong way cos i've not actually seen the car in daylight yet! but as i was away thurs fri and sat, i had to get down asap last week.... i knew that this car would be in great demend and having had a couple of more conversations with the seller (a nice bloke - club lotus member) it seems i was more than right to get in quick - as he has had loads of interest...

so the car looks and drives great, looks fab in the photos and i'm just hoping the daylight will not bring anything up....but as i said he's a decent bloke and wants me to see it in daylight before we close the deal...i'm fairly certain its a cracker tho....spot on history and completely loved/looked after...

i'll post again to say when i'm due in town to close the deal and we can compare GT3s :D as i am keen to check out some of the mods to your great looking car! i particularly like the V8 wheels (its not that i dont like the Routes - far from it) but i have appreciated the look of your motor in the past :cheers: and i'm curious to see how they look/fit without the bodykit....

cheers

jim

Cheers - jim

Yeah I live in Aylesford too, although from the pics I don't recongise the area but thats no saying he took them in the village !

He originally was going to part ex it with Lipscomb for an Exige iirc. I know it's been there as well for servicing because they're always getting the 2 of our cars mixed up so you could call Lipscomb, speak to Mark Barnes or Adrian in engineering. IMO if you're in any doubt phone Lipscombs up, explain you're Club LEF and then see if they'll do a check on the car (they do pre/post track day checks for

cant agree more with wot you are saying Jon! and thanks for the info etc....makes sense as the chap is def a lotus man (good for him!) but i dont know if he would go from the comparative comfort of the last dash esprit to the exige! we did have the conversation around how relaxed it is for touring etc compared to the elise/exige.....so maybe he changed his mind?

anyway - i decided to go for it there and then for the reasons previously posted... this will be my 4th Esprit (from S1'76 to V8'98 - with S4'95 as the first i had....) so i am under no illusions about running costs problems and repairs etc.... and fully expect to have to do some work on the car to get it absolutely sorted...however as you say, after a fairly thorough (albeit dark!) inspection - to be concluded before close of deal with some light! it does look like a mint machine - fingers crossed the list will be short this time........

i shall ping you when i know where/when etc.... the chap is Larkfield way - you know it? most likely to be Saturday if you are around..... :thumbup:

regards

jim

Cheers - jim