free hit
counters
Esprit S2 2.2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
philip myer

Esprit S2 2.2

Hi

This is my first post. I like to find out how many S2 2.2 are still out there.

I know it's a rare model,It would be nice to know how many LHD and RHD

and what colours,over the last ten years I've only seen six, I have been to most

UK lotus events. Phil.......

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Lets hear more about your S2 as well Phil. The minder car? expand a bit/more info wanted. :respect:

Welcome to LEF

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Phil

If that is your car I've admired the pics of it greatly, stunning! I've seen a white one go on eBay about 2 years ago, and a blue one being restored at Paul Matty's. Pete at PNM Engineering had a red one that wasn't completed after restoration and is (or was) for sale. There is also I think a gold one that has gone overseas (RHD) and is being restored by someone on LEF.

Not too many eh?

I'm sure Phil will expand but the "Minder" car was as the name suggests used in an episode of Minder and was I think originally gold. I have a short video clip and pics courtesy of Mark Britten.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

.....and they were digitised for me by Ade Mugridge from his video collection! I managed to get the whole episode later but have not been able to find it for some time unfortunately.

Hi Phil, it was me who confirmed the Minder connection in the episode "All About Scoring, Innit?" about 3 years ago when we were all on Yahoo. Never managed to catch up with you since although I recognised the car at castle Combe.

It was interesting that this particular episode was directed by future Bond director Martin Campbell, so he was obviously influenced by TSWLM and setting his stall out early!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Here's some piccies......

White one off eBay and courtesy Mark Britten

8bbfb171.jpg

105f9eea.jpg

Blue one courtesy of Mark Britten

7af2a145.jpg

Gold Car also courtesy Mark Britten

d84bacc9.jpg

ed5b39e2.jpg

Another blue one taken by me at Paul Matty late 2006

03b1db3d.jpg

Finally slightly off topic but a real rareity, a Bell And Collville S2 turbo car from eBay and courtesy Mark again

35013f3c.jpg

Regards

Mat

Hi

This is my first post. I like to find out how many S2 2.2 are still out there.

I know it's a rare model,It would be nice to know how many LHD and RHD

and what colours,over the last ten years I've only seen six, I have been to most

UK lotus events. Phil.......

HI

Thank you all for your replies and photos.

My esprit was first registered to lotus cars and they ran it for about 6 months.

It was during this time it was used for an episode of minder,there is not a lot of footage

3-4 minutes in all. The most spectacular scene is when both barrels of a shotgun is

fired at the tailgate blew the rear screen to bits. in the rest of the programe the car

driven with a piece of plastic sheet flaping over the tailgate.

All this came to light when Mark Britten listed his favorites tv and film shots with esprits in on the old yahoo site

he said about a gold car in minder having the rear screen shot at. He later comfirmed with all the details of which

episode of minder it was in. The reason I suspected it was my car after I had done the deal with the last owner

he said someone had told him they saw his car on tv and it had the rear screen shot at,

this rang bells in my head when Mark said about minder.

When I bought the car It had been parked up for 18 months outside in a very sorry state

it had been resprayed in blue, and had an aftermarket sunroof and a non runner that was 12 years ago

since then it been restored and resprayed in lotus yellow, if I had known about the minder thing I'd kept it

gold not sure it justifies another respray. What do you think?

Interesting question. Mine is currently being restored and is going to be resprayed. The paintwork is currently so poor that it's the same work to keep yellow or change, especially as the body is coming off.

I want something original looking but ironically I don't want to stay yellow as yours looks so good I don't want to create an identical looking car. Mine was originally Silver from the factory and I just can't make my mind up between Yellow, Silver, Gold or something else.

I don't think you should change yours as it seems an awful lot of work when the car looks great anyway.

Regards

Mat

Silver looks good IMO :devil:

Yep, got to agree with Mark on that one.

Interesting Minder connection - haven't seen that episode.

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Hey Mat, you know it's got to be Championship Gold!

Nice one Mark been long time since I see that, now the big question is

do I leave my car yellow or spray gold, the way I see it you can't nearly

have the minder car, it has got to be gold to truly be that car, I think I owe

it to the car. What do all of you think? I need to know.

Phil.......

If yours was a hound I'd say go for it instantly, but it looks mint, and a full colour change will be sooo expensive! It's up to you obviously, I'd only do it if it was show quality afterwards.

Oh and I'd paint the bottom bits black like God and Colin Chapman intended them to be :rofl:

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Guest Troy Halliday

I met a guy in Hertfordshire who owned a S2.2 was not interested in the forum or meeting other Lotus owners, strange why he stopped me to say hi and look over my car then :rofl:

If yours was a hound I'd say go for it instantly, but it looks mint, and a full colour change will be sooo expensive! It's up to you obviously, I'd only do it if it was show quality afterwards.

Oh and I'd paint the bottom bits black like God and Colin Chapman intended them to be :rofl:

Hi Mark I know what mean about the black bits, but to me it makes the car look very high

off the ground. Anyway it's an easy fix to paint black. as for a respray it would have to be top quality

afterwards I could not have anything less. yes expensive too,problem is my wife hates the gold aswell.

phil.....

Further to Mark's pic, my S2 with Simon Turner's S2.2. Not sure if he's still got it as he was seduced by the darkside and bought an Exige and Elise.

SandSurf.jpg

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Yes, I have the gold car.

Regarding the LHD / RHD version my book says that only 4 RHD were made, from chassis N. 0358 to 0361, and no one for the USA but for the Europe and rest of the world.

The UK chassis start from N. 0861G to 0994G, and my car is the penultimate build. (0993).

I have seen only one LHD car for sale on Ebay Belgium some time ago, was grey and in good order but too espansive for the conditions (14000 EURO)

Cheers

post-3419-1203450395.jpg

post-3419-1203450421.jpg

HI Mark just for curiosity, where have you taken this photo ???????

It's the same that the seller has sent to me to testimony the days of delivery from his house....

I'ts a little bit strange....I have not put this pic on the forum.. :D

Cheers

What do you mean ALMOST worthy!?! If you wanted a hi res copy, you just needed to ask. No need to be shy...go on, you know you want it!

What a great pic, almost worthy as wallpaper. Why would he sell a fantastic car like that?! One of the nices look Esprit's I've seen! Here's another Clicky

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009