free hit
counters
Indicator mechanism - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
esprit s2

Indicator mechanism

Afternoon one and all.

My indicator/windscreen wiper stalks have decided to give up on me. When I try to put either of them on, the whole mechanism inside the steering cowl just moves around.

Is this fixable or will I need to get a new unit? Can you still get the units?

Will post a pic later on this evening when I get home to clarify what I mean.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Paul,

There is a spacer that goes over the cloumn which the stalks clamp around. It's the bit at the front end of the outer column. Is your spacer missing?

DSCF1065.jpg

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Sounds to me like the screws are loose. I've had that happen a couple of times, and it was just a matter of tightening them.

- T

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Removed the steering wheel and cowling and you were right, it just needed tightening up. Someone had put 4 zip ties round the column to hold on the stalks and these were loose. Ended up cutting them off.

Thanks guys.

The same thing happened to me. I retightened the the clamping screws and the whole thing was loose soon after. It turns out one of the plastic ears had cracked and would not hold the tension anymore. I purchased a new stalk assembly back in Dec 2007. It was in stock, but I was told it was the only one in the US.

The indicator unit was used by several British Leyland cars. I got a new one from the local Landrover dealer. It was off a series 3 landrover. The angle of the stalk was not quite right but I tweaked it in a vice to get the right angle. Connector plug was different but a soldering iron fixed that. Cost was $NZ115 about $US90

I also got a wiper stalk from a breaker off a Triumph 2000. I managed to pick up a spare of each at a recent swap meet for $10 ea

Edited by GSimpson