free hit
counters
USA SIR Steering column - info? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

This is a real long shot!!

I'm trying to fit the later, shorter steering column to my 88 Esprit, while I'm changing the rest of the dash and doors for the V8 style ones.

the problem I have, is that the later style column is shorter.

In the UK and the USA now, it mates to a power steering rack, so it all fits together as it should.

However, mine is now power steering so it is too short... BUT!!!

the early USA cars from 88 onwards (I think) that didn't have power steering, but DID have an airbag, used this steering column.

what Lotus did, was fit an intermediate shaft to make up the extra length, use a longer bottom shaft, and also a ball bearing on a plate mounted to the chassis to stop the shaft moving in the wrong way.

Now, here's the tricky stuff I'm trying to get help with!!

The bearing bolts onto the chassis.. so although I can get all the parts from Lotus, I don't know if I'm going to be able to physically fit the bearing plate without taking the body off the chassis.. which I'm not going to do! Has anyone in the US ever meddled in this are, and can give me a few pointers about this bearing?

ie, is it easy to get to and replace? does it even need to be there? (Lotus may have fitted it as 'belt and braces' when it's not really that necessary, maybe?)

And lastly.. and I know I've got no chance of this.. Does anyone have one of these bearings and bearing plates spare, and possibly an intermediate shaft and lower shaft I could purchase?

Failing that.. does anyone know of any breakers yards in the USA? I'm in the UK so it's pretty impossible for me to find these bits from over here unless I got for original lotus items that are many

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the exact problem I am having with the electric power steering column I am fitting as this shorter than the Lotus column.

I am solving the issue in a different way by making an extension to fit on the end of the new column to make it the same length as the old Lotus column, you could probably do the same.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

I think that's what i'm going to end up doing to be honest.. The intermediate shaft and bearing arrangement Lotus fitted for the production cars is not going to happen, as I'm not going to able to get the bearing in place.

The vauxhall column has a UJ on the bottom.. off the top of my head I can't remember what the existing one has.

Hilly, are your cutting and welding an extra piece in? or are you making an extra bit to bolt in or something? Do you have a method of making splines?

I've got a couple of engineer pals, but i'm not sure they'll be able to make splines. Do they need to be toughened, or will a stainless shaft be strong enough?

bit of an unknown area for me!

Hi Glyn

The way I am doing it is using the bottom section of an Esprit column (the bit with bottom spline and bearing) and welding that to the end of the joint on the Corsa column.

I had initially planned to just chop up the old column I have to get the required parts, but it seemed such a shame to destroy a perfectly good column.

Then a couple of days later GregWO posted up that his column was broken so he is kindly sending me the bottom section of his which I will use to connect the 2 together.

Of course yours will be different as your column isn't the same as mine.

I don't have the tools here to make the required spline although I could buy them if needed.

As this may prove to be a popular mod I may try and organise some sort of "kit" of parts, but that wouldn't be for some time.

A stainless steel shaft should be plenty strong enough, but cutting the spline will be a pain though.

Mild steel is easier to machine, but should be toughened once the spline has been cut.

Your best bet is to either cannibalise your old column for the bits you need to mate the new column to the car as you know it will fit and it also has the bottom bearing on it, or if you are lucky like me a broken one may turn up.

Hilly

Thanks for that.

Chopping up the old column I suppose is a bit of a one way process.. but I don't intend going back anyway.

as you say, shame to chop up a good one really, but I may have to if nobody else has a broken one.

I'll have to see what my engineer pal thinks when I get the dash out and we can see where we're at with it.

I'm hoping the rest of the dash conversion won't be as troublesome :devil:

I'm hoping the rest of the dash conversion won't be as troublesome :devil:

Famous last words .............................................

Hilly