free hit
counters
Alternative to steel replacement weather strips - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
davevr6car

Alternative to steel replacement weather strips

Hi folks,

The weather strips on my S4s are rusting away and they look terrible and spoil the looks of the exterior of the car, I think these rusting and bubbling are a coommon thing. Anyway today I decided on removing them and to clean them up. It was a nightmare trying to get the passenger side off but after an hour or so I had the strip off. I ended up bending the strip and the inside was totally rusted away. Now I could replace them with Sj ones but they would probably rust away again in a few years so I decided to try something different. Down at my local hardware store I found a plastic corner tile finisher in matt black 19mm x 19mm x 2m long. This was very close to the external strip. I cut the strip to the length of the orignal one and using the orignal as a template drilled the holes in the new plastic strip to accept the rubber seal. I then bonded ( using Industrial Super Glue ) and rivetted the two pieces together. I then removed and cleaned all the old bonding from the door frame. Using the Super glue again I bonded the new plastic/rubber seal to the door frame. I could not of have been happier with the results. the new plastic strip is thinner than the old one and matches peerfectly in with the door and rear quarter light backed out strip. As this is plastic it will never rust and does not stick out as much as the old strip. I took some photos of the door after,and of the rusted weather strip compared to the new plastic strip on my camera phone, see below. When I do the drivers side I will take more photos. oh yea total cost was

Edited by davevr6car

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That's ace..

I've just sort of re done my rusty ones, but I would prefer something in plastic that you can fit and forget about.

So, you got the L shaped plastic, bonded the rubber to it with glue, then stuch it to the car?

What bits did you rivit? Did you use the original thin strip from underneath?

A quick sketch of what you did would be handy, as I'd like to do this to mine.

Have you tried the windows up and down to make sure the windows don't drag the plastic off?

Nice job!

Hi,

Great idea, I've bought that sort of plastic finisher before for a job I was doing, it's good stuff. My weather strips aren't rusty, but the rubber glass strip does look like yours in the your photographs, it has a high spot where the rivets are all the way along. Any ideas how to stop this? It's obviously down to the force of the rivet spreading the strip so making these high spots, but it looks so bad on the exterior of the car. I wonder whether to take them off some time and fit a metal strip sandwiching the rubber strip, hopefully reducing the spread. How do Lotus stop it?

Owen.

Hi,

Great idea, I've bought that sort of plastic finisher before for a job I was doing, it's good stuff. My weather strips aren't rusty, but the rubber glass strip does look like yours in the your photographs, it has a high spot where the rivets are all the way along. Any ideas how to stop this? It's obviously down to the force of the rivet spreading the strip so making these high spots, but it looks so bad on the exterior of the car. I wonder whether to take them off some time and fit a metal strip sandwiching the rubber strip, hopefully reducing the spread. How do Lotus stop it?

Owen.

I done my drivers side today and took some pictures for a "how to do" but haven't got around to writing it up yet but to answer your question.....

When I had my new PVC strip trimmed to size and trial fitted I glued / bonded the rubber strip to the PVC strip at one end approx 1". the rubber strip is actually shorter than the PVC strip so has to be stretched slightly. So once the glue had set, I stretched the rubber strip and glued it to the other end of the PVC strip and clamped it till the glue had set. I then glued the rest of the rubber strip to the PVC strip and let the glue set. By doing this..stretching the rubber and glueing it.....it pulls the rubber strip straight. Using a 3mm bit I drilled the PVC strip using the original holes in the rubber strip as a guide.....then using 3.2 x 10mm Aluminium rivets I rivetted the two together....using M3 washers either side to spread the load. As the two strips are glued prior...there are is no spreading or high spots. I didn't stretch the rubber on the passenger side and this left high spots from the rivetting... so I will redo this side again.

The main problem with this job is getting the existing steel strip off the car.......but if I had to do it again ...I would not try and unscrew the strip..I would simply drill the studs out from the outside using an 8mm bit. Overall cost is around