free hit
counters
ESPRIT/DELOREAN? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ANTIQUES

ESPRIT/DELOREAN?

Guest ANTIQUES

Guys i remember in top gear they lambasted the Delorean as basically a bad car.I never really respected anything Clarkson says on cars ,as im certain he reads scripts written by others.The Dlorean was made about a mile away from me ,but believe me thats not why im defending it.As you know lotus transformed the whole dynamics of the car ,and some called it an Esprit in all but name.So if lotus did this then it must be a fine handling car like the esprit,JAMES/BELFAST,PS ID BE INTERESTED IN YOUR OPINION

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

One of the beauties of fibreglass is it's weight, lack of, so the body shell can be quite light, but stainless steel is a bit heavier. No matter how much you tune the handling (and I can't see Lotus putting any less effort into tuning the Esprit's handling than another car), the centre of mass of the D will be a lot higher than the Esprit (unless you put a lot of weight in, really low to the ground).

If the centre of mass is higher, it hinders cornering, making the car more susceptible to body roll, which isn't going to be great for cornering and handling in general.

I never really respected anything Clarkson says on cars...

Ahhh a thinking man !

If you listen to Clarkson over the years the amount of times he has HUGELY contradicted himself is unreal.

I know at least 2 people with Deloreans and they love the way the car drives as much as Esprit owners do, that said, that's all that matters really !

I know 2 people on here have both Esprits and Deloreans - what do they think ? Step up fellas...

facebook = [email protected]

The PRV engine was utter rubbish - 2.8l V6 federal spec (i.e. with cats) would only manage 130bhp (less than the S1 Esprit and the car was a lot heavier) , giving a 0-60 time of over 10s - pretty useless for a 'sports car'. Though I read somewhere than they did plan to put a twin turbo engine in it...

As regards Lotus' input, it was compromised, e.g. Lotus strongly objected to the gullwings (ironically turning out to be its most iconic feature) because they ruined the structural rigidity. And it was rear engined. So I doubt even with Lotus' help that it handled well either.

But I still love it. I also grew up near the factory. My dad used to work at Montupet who bought the factory after it went bust. I remember as a kid they had a family open day and had converted the DMC test track into a karting circuit - very cool :cheers:

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Someone in Vegas put a Lotus V8 into one B)

Rear engine though which again - doesn't help for handlng (one wants all the weight ideally in the centre of the 4 wheels) but it does make for a larger and more comfortable passenger compartment which is what the Delorean was aimed for in the US market.

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = [email protected]

the Delorean was aimed for in the US market.

And during the OPEC oil crises so the federal models had the mandatory 85mph maximum speedo (but no limiter). Somehow I doubt they thought that one through.

'Excuse me sir, do you know what fast you were going'

'No officer, the speedo needle is permanently buried in the upstop'

or

'40 mph on the dot officer. Though the needle did swing through a full 360' before going on to 40 mph'

:cheers:

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

The two cars do appear related, even accepting that the engine/transmission is the opposite way round hence set further back in the DeLorean. I drove a DeLorean out in USA around 1983 and it was quite a civilised drive as a GT car although no road burner. You could say the DeLorean is a kind of cross between Renault Alpine/GTA (n/a engine) and Esprit (chassis).

Here's a couple of images showing the similarities between the chassis of the two cars. Esprit in the upper pic, DeLorean below.

EspritChassis.jpg

DeLorChass2.jpg

Edited by Lowtus

I have several friends with DeLoreans, and have clocked a few hundred miles in them over the years. Here's my .02:

Virtues:

- The handling. (big surprise) It is not at all, by any stretch of the imagination, "tail happy" like a 911. It is incredibly forgiving for a rear-engine car. You don't really think about where the engine is when you drive one; you just know it's not up front; it's 'somewhere back there'.

- Steering. Even though the car is heavy, it feels light in the front. The steering is lighter than my S1s'. When driving, it is nicely weighted, feels good to steer.

- Interior space. A large or TALL person can stretch out in a DeLorean. America has quite a few big and tall people who fit comfortably in a DeLorean but not in an Esprit, Ferrari, Pantera, or Lambo.

- Maintanance. The stainless steel body is easy to keep "pretty". The PRV V6, while underpowered, does not have Lotus/Ferrari/Lambo maintenance costs and intervals. There are plenty of DeLoreans over here in the States that had over 100K miles on them 10-15 years ago.

Vices:

- Slow. Yep, no way to dodge this one. Slow.

- Cumbersome. It doesn't feel heavy in terms of handling and steering, but it is a bulky car, and you feel it's dimensional bulk more than its weight. When you first drive one, you have no idea how close the sides and corners of the car are to the other vehicles parked on the street. Going down a narrow lane can be frightening. You have no idea how much or little car is behind you, and it's not really from not being able to see out. It takes a while to learn where the edges of the car are.

- Build Quality. The doors come loose, the latches and strikers come loose, you have to slam them, they don't stay aligned, etc. The alternators were placed, IIRC in a stupid position behind the rear tire, so they got splashed with water and ruined quickly. Something like that. The high beams melt and warp the plastic fascia above them. The rear louver/grille assemblies are rickety. Interior gadgets creak and break. Those little windows that roll down fail.

But overall, it is a very comfortable car, and both relaxing and a delight to drive on a trip. A long time ago, I read an article that stated the DeLorean never intended to be an all-out sports car like an Esprit or a Ferrari; their aim was to be more in the vein of Mercedes Benz SL, only with a radically different and modern style. If you look at the DeLorean in this light, it makes a lot more sense, and hits the mark a lot better. :cheers:

- T

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Guest ANTIQUES

JOHNATHON, AND THE OTHERS THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES.THIS CLARKSON GUY IS AN IDIOT IN MY OPINION.I AGREE HE CONTRADICTS HIMSELF ON THE CARS ,AND INSULTS THE VIEWERS .ARE CAR SHOWS BECOMING MORE COMEDY SHOWS,AND 2ND RATE ONES AT THAT?.THE BBC HAS BEEN CAUGHT OUT CONNING THE VIEWERS ,WHO PAY THEIR WAGES SO MANY TIMES.. THE DELOREAN HAS MADE A WORLD WORLD WIDE IMPACT,ITS A PITY IT DIDNT GET MORE OFFICIAL DEVELOPMENT.AS FAR AS I NEW ,IT ACTAULLY HAD A FIBRE GLASS BODY CLOTHED THEN IN STAINLESS STEEL????JAMES/ANTIQUES

Edited by ANTIQUES

James - Press this once.

capslock.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

i like the delorean its a very nice car in my opinion, im not really interested in how powerful it is etc, i just like a nice classic car and in my books its a bloody good looking classic.

Hello!

I have both, my Esprit S1 #039 and one of the last DeLoreans built, #20022. My D was one of the cars left partially built on the assembly line when the factory closed in August 1982, and as I understand it, these last few cars were largely hand finished and shipped out on or around Christmas Eve 1982. My car has 4,800 miles on it since new.

This is the 4th DeLorean I have owned over the years, I had one as a semi-daily driver in 1982.

The DeLorean is a fantastic GT car. As Tony said, it is not a light sports car like the Esprit, and I do not believe John Z ever intended it to be. But as a car to take on a trip, go to dinner with, or enjoy on a nice long Sunday drive, it is just fantastic. And to me, the styling, especially the interior, still looks great and modern today. And it certainly attracts attention.

There was one twin turbo car built by Legand Industries in Long Island, a test mule. It is a shame that the whole thing folded before the twin turbo model went into production.

But I do love my DeLorean, always have loved them!

Jeff