free hit
counters
Alternator Review Bosch AL49X - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CBrownstead

Alternator Review Bosch AL49X

WOW !!! All I can say is night and day . . . the Valeo would struggle ant 950rpm . . .the lights would actually dim when i turned on the radio, which I rarely did. Anyway, batteries were not charging . .blah blah . . . we have all seen it. After the Bosch install . . .at 980 rpm or so, I am delivering 13.8 volts TO the battery . . . The guage rarely goes below 13.5 . . . and everything in the interior lights up bright, radio works, even with crappy amp PO put in. AND BEST OF ALL . . . my window motors work . .sort of . . .when it is hot . . .and i rub my head and hold my face a certain way . . . anyway they do go up and down, no more embarrassment at the drive through . . . I would recommend anyone to do it . . . it is not that hard, hardware was availalbe locally, and it made a huge difference . . . It seems it cured my hesitation at 60 or so . . . amazing . . .dont you love when they run like they are supposed to . . now i will enjoy it while it lasts . . .

thanks to all those out there that helped out . . .

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Chris,

Now you have a fully working alternator ! Great !

You old one was just dead I suppose. IMHO, the brand is not important. A fully working OEM Valeo alternator also would perform this way.

Good job :thumbup:

Marcus

WOW !!! All I can say is night and day . . . the Valeo would struggle ant 950rpm . . .the lights would actually dim when i turned on the radio, which I rarely did. Anyway, batteries were not charging . .blah blah . . . we have all seen it. After the Bosch install . . .at 980 rpm or so, I am delivering 13.8 volts TO the battery . . . The guage rarely goes below 13.5 . . . and everything in the interior lights up bright, radio works, even with crappy amp PO put in. AND BEST OF ALL . . . my window motors work . .sort of . . .when it is hot . . .and i rub my head and hold my face a certain way . . . anyway they do go up and down, no more embarrassment at the drive through . . . I would recommend anyone to do it . . . it is not that hard, hardware was availalbe locally, and it made a huge difference . . . It seems it cured my hesitation at 60 or so . . . amazing . . .dont you love when they run like they are supposed to . . now i will enjoy it while it lasts . . .

thanks to all those out there that helped out . . .

Marcus

Not sure if the valeo is toasted or not . . . i noticed a few things, the voltage regulator plastic was mared up and scared from the plenum hitting it, and the terminal where they positive wire connects was loose and pulled in and out of the back of the alternator . . .and then there was the black gooey stuff coming out of the bottom running on the AC compressor . . . none of this sounded like a good thing . . . so I would imagine it is a large paperweight now . . . Took it out and really enjoyed driving it yesterday . . . forgot how quick and nimble it was . . . I do need some brake work however, a little vibration when on the peddle and a little spongy . . .but i have not touched the brakes yet and the car is 20 years old . . .

Not sure if the valeo is toasted or not . . . i noticed a few things, the voltage regulator plastic was mared up and scared from the plenum hitting it, and the terminal where they positive wire connects was loose and pulled in and out of the back of the alternator . . .and then there was the black gooey stuff coming out of the bottom running on the AC compressor . . . none of this sounded like a good thing . . . so I would imagine it is a large paperweight now . . . Took it out and really enjoyed driving it yesterday . . . forgot how quick and nimble it was . . . I do need some brake work however, a little vibration when on the peddle and a little spongy . . .but i have not touched the brakes yet and the car is 20 years old . . .

I know a guy that rebuilds those alternators. I may need a new one for my car soon so if I had one to have rebuilt ahead of time, it may save me some shop time. Let me know if you want to get rid of it.

Chuck

Edited by Kjakk

Sure will chuck . . . I also picked up a spare Bosch unit for around 25$ from a guy. It has not been rebuilt. I would be willing to donate it to you if you just paid the shipping . . . and you could have the valeo along with it . . .

I know a guy that rebuilds those alternators. I may need a new one for my car soon so if I had one to have rebuilt ahead of time, it may save me some shop time. Let me know if you want to get rid of it.

Chuck

Sure will chuck . . . I also picked up a spare Bosch unit for around 25$ from a guy. It has not been rebuilt. I would be willing to donate it to you if you just paid the shipping . . . and you could have the valeo along with it . . .

I'm local, so I was thinking I could just pick it up some time.