free hit
counters
Improving Esprit Interior - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LotusEsprit1988

Improving Esprit Interior

The interior of my 1988 Esprit NA is a little shabby, particularly the leather around the gear stick and the handbrake, and the sun visors could do with replacing. Also, a couple of the buttons (the headlight button mainly) could do with replacing.

Any recommendations?

Cheers!

Richard

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Superdavelotus does a nice range of Ally switches etc. As for the leather...hmmm....try a local re-trimming shop. They can normally match up the colour. If you want it original try the factory who can re-trim the whole interior if you want (may be a little more expensive)! LEF members get a workshop rate of

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

hello Richard, is the leather ripped or just worn as you can re-colour and get good results, put a few pics on this thread. dont think dave has the alloy switches for the headlight buttons just the heater controls at the moment. also there is a post in the technical section on re-covering the sunvisors

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Hi Richard, just bought a re-colouring kit from Gliptone - have to wait until spring though, now its too cold for that kind of stuff. Think it will work pretty good.

Not too cold for other upgrades however, here a pic taken yesterday with a bunch of new fittings. Momo Fighter Zebrano steering wheel from local dealer, horn button from Elise-Parts (NL); gear surround from Lotus Claudius (LA); gear knob and hand brake handle from Moto Concept, AC/vent knobs from "Superdave", mats and sill plates from Ramspott & Brandt, new AC panel from LEW E-shop (New Zealand), stereo from Blaupunkt, and home-made black leather pad with chrome alarm light in way of the original magnolia one with dull black LED. I think this is more in harmony with the rest of the centre console. The leather came from a lady's boot - so what could be more fitting.

The walnut and magnolia lends itself to a more traditional image I feel; had I had a black / carbon dash I would have gone the other way. I am very happy with it.

Dave's knobs are very nice, he engraves them to order.

BTW Dave, I need your pedals. Will contact you....

lo.jpg

This way to ship models! http://www.modelship...user-index.html

AELLEF_Esprit_27.jpg

Both Superdave and Troy have done fantastic things with tired looking leather on Esprits. Both have put up some pictures of the before and after and show very impressive results. (can't find previous posts/pics atm)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Go here http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...ticle&id=28

Or, it's in WIKI under General/ Interior.

I was impressed by the results, not too expensive, but a lot of hard work!

Roger :rofl:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

keep watching this space for news on my interior, im in the process of sorting things with someone about having work done shortly, im hoping for the seats and centre bits to possibly be done for donny, im not giving much away as its going to be a bit of a wow factor launch for the guy, and i promised him loads of advertising. his work is faultless trust me on that!

Guest Troy Halliday

The results pretty much speak for themselves I think this stuff is a great product and would highly recomend it.

3-stage.jpg

s-stage.jpg

Many thanks for all the replies!

The leather is generally not in bad shape, but just around the gearstick and the handbreak it is all torn and shabby. What I need to do is get those bits of leather replaced I think, I wonder whether it could even look OK with different colour leather? I would be very interested in any recommended (and cheap!) trimmers anywhere near London. The three buttons to the left of the stearing wheel could do with replacing, as could the backlit panel that says "Esprit" just behind the gearstick, behind the heating buttons.

gear knob and hand brake handle from Moto Concept,

Do you happen to have the part #'s for the handle and knob? I see that Moto Concept partners with JAE here in the states, but neither company has the knob or handle listed on their websites...

I am more interested in "completely" redesign the interior of an Esprit..

if I find time and have the money, I probably think about doing it.

but wonder what's the best material to "make the shell" where the leather/foam/parts to be glue onto"?

Do you happen to have the part #'s for the handle and knob? I see that Moto Concept partners with JAE here in the states, but neither company has the knob or handle listed on their websites...

Hi, Talon sorry for late response.....

I'm sending from remote location right now but will get back with the part numbers once I get home and find the receipts!

Moto Concept designates the hand brake handle as "Artikkel No. 15331"; will check. The gear knob seems to have been removed from their web site. But again, will check and revert.

lo.jpg

AELLEF_Esprit_27.jpg

Talon,

So the handle is "Alu Handbremsgriff ohne Gummiringe" Artikkel No. 15331 (35 Euro + shipping) and the gear knob is "Alu-GT-Rennschaltknauf" Artikkel No. 15147 (99 Euro plus shipping).

Hope this helps!

lo.jpg

AELLEF_Esprit_27.jpg

The results pretty much speak for themselves I think this stuff is a great product and would highly recomend it.

Troy,

What product did you use? Thanks.

1995 S4s

3-stage.jpg

s-stage.jpg

Troy, what is the name of this product and do you know if its available in the US?

Thanks!