free hit
counters
LOTUS ESPRIT 1979 lotus prototype with turbo kit - Ebay UK - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Buddsy

LOTUS ESPRIT 1979 lotus prototype with turbo kit

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Possibly true, but not as a demonstrator. There are known to be a few later S2s that were modded with S3 parts as part of the development program and this was confirmed by Kimbers. They def had the turbo skirts and Louvres but retained S2 Speedline wheels. Prob one of them. I'd say no way was it an official show car.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

At first I thought it could be this car;

Lotus_Turbo_Esprit_USA_Thum.jpg

but the rear spoiler looks mocked up on the white one, the blue one is production stock. (BTW how easy are they to add to an NA car?? Looks like more than a bolt on.)

Also I have been told before that the rear bumper on the first Turbos, and obviously all of the Essex run, did not have that horrible big "LOTUS" script embossed, as the pics below prove. Add to that the Ebay ad says the "original 2 litre engine" is supplied for rebuilding (when if there was a transitional NA/Turbo it would have been a later S2.2), and I'd guess it's a fake (although quite a smart one anyway)

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

What the hell do you mean "that horrible big "LOTUS" script embossed"??? Thats one of the best bits!!!!.....well IMO!!! :rofl: Each to their own but I do like it.

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

DO YOU NOT THINK IT'S A BIT SHOUTY LIKE KEEPING CAPS LOCK ON? :rofl:

I can understand why Lotus did it as Giugiaros retake didn't leave much space for badges or scripts, but it's a bit obvious for my tastes. They were definitely capitalising on the Bond link at the time.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

It is a bit of a big Lotus badge I will give you that... but the Turbo Esprit is soo 80s very brash, I mean come on they wrote Essex down the sides with chrome trim too. Shut your mouth and look at my wad!!!! Youve got to wear red braces and ponce around with your file-o-fax oh and your suitcase sized mobile fone!!! Well thats how I will dress when I get her on the road....Sad thing is it will porbably be back in fashion then too!!!! lol

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Buddsy. I've seen 2 of these come up whilst being on LEF and I can cnfirm that they were Prototype Turbo vehicles. I think there were around 10 to start with and they were used for shows, testing etc Not sure about the dates tho.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

]

Where did you get the pictures of that Essex? Is it your car?? (not the white one)

Edited by esprit22

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I've seen 2 of these come up whilst being on LEF and I can cnfirm that they were Prototype Turbo vehicles.

I thought the prototypes didn't have the air intake in the sills. Have a look at the white one above.

Could just be an S2 pretending to be a Turbo. There are plenty of them around.

Some Essex Esprits had LOTUS stamped into the rear bumper, some didn't

Looking at the Essex photo's it looks like it's Essex No.4 owned by Steve T. that has recently been rebuilt and was written up in Club Lotus News

Some Essex Esprits had LOTUS stamped into the rear bumper, some didn't

Looking at the Essex photo's it looks like it's Essex No.4 owned by Steve T. that has recently been rebuilt and was written up in Club Lotus News

Yep, thats the guy I foolishly sold a full set of new NCT 1 Goodyears for a measly

Was that so you could buy that Leather Jacket you always wear? :rofl:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)