free hit
counters
Wider V8 Arches for S4? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rearwheelaction

Wider V8 Arches for S4?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi

I had to buy a couple of bits that were damaged on my Sport 350.From memory the n/s lower front wheelarch part was about

I'm putting a set I have aquired on mine at some stage this year!!

I'm thinking about this too.

I think SJ sportscars have a "6 piece" kit for about 300GBP. I spoke to R&B in Wiesbaden who said the fitting would mean some cutting to the original body work. They didn't mention a price for fitting.

Am very curious to see what an S4 would look like with the arches....may have to fire up the old photoshop later on this evening....

Charlie

Hi,

This is something I want to do to mine, fit arch extensions having the V8 wheels, this will be when I get it completely painted. I've fitted similar body kits to cars when I was in the motor trade, I had to fit one to an alfa 156 once, full kit, skirts, arches spoliers etc. It was a nightmare, the kit came with seal strips, but in the end we chucked them and stuck the kit on using a really strong bonding adhesive. It required a lot of cleaning of excess sealant, also lots of tape to hold them on until the bonding agent had gone off, a good 24 hours in a warm room. Once cleaned up the car looked great, and no holes drilled to start rust happening.

Owen

There's an S4 here in the states with arches, but they are moulded in and the effect isn't as dramatic. The craftsmanship is stellar though...

I saw a silver S4 on dupontregistry.com with arches retrofitted in the OEM way and it looked great. This was years ago though.

post-78-1203432930.jpg

post-78-1203432951.jpg

post-78-1203432978.jpg

untitled__1_.bmp

Edited by karmavore

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

what mirrors are on that red little sweety ? :rofl:

They're off an XJ220. :lol:

Seriously, I beleive they are just relocated OEM mirrors.

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Boss Mouldings(?) do them - their advert used to be in the Club Lotus mag.

Remember them being fairly reasonable and pretty good quality.

You'll need to Sikaflex the fixings in though.

Normally they are BigHeads : http://www.bighead.co.uk/

Ref: 316-M1/T38-M5x20mm (S171M1)

They are stainless unlike the original Lotus ones which i've seen rot out of the sikaflex!

Similar fixings are available from other manufacturers - names escape me as Bighead are ok to deal with/reasonable.

Not 100% but i'm sure there's a bit of body modding to do in order to fit the arches - aside from just drilling the holes i've seen the waistband ground back a bit.

HTH.

I wonder with the mirrors mounted in that forward position if the window frame gets in the way and bisects your view of the mirror? Having to move your head to the left (or right on the other side of the pond) would be rather annoying.

The bodywork on that car is first class though.

I already have that problem on the drivers side of my car, as I sit fairly far forward. I wish I could move the mirror a few inches to the front...

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

Gareth, check out the Lotus Parts sale list. I know I saw the wheel arch extensions on there!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Yes, you will have to cut the wheel arches.

Oh, and topics merged.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

When you fit the arches, you have to grind away a little of the lip that joins the two halves of the car together. Also, the Lotus way of fitting them is to drill through your bodywork and bolt the arches on.

Mine are actually bonded on instead I think.

Either way, you'll need to do some body and paintwork on the main body of cour car. You can't just stick these over the top.

As mine were fitted, they put an extra cut on the arch that overlapped the rear bumper, and bonded that on as a seperate bit. It means if I need to take my bumper off, I don't have to seperate it from the arch. Looks factory as well they way it was cut exactly inline with the join line of the bumper.

The SJ arches are a bit cheaper than the Lotus ones, but as they are a copy, they don't fit straight on without meddling.

If you can get originals, you'd be better off.

can you just get the 2 front hockey stick bits up the arch, i already have flared rear arches on the door side,

but i seriously need front down force as mine is like driving a fwd car lol

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

Do you mean the extra bits like on a sport 300? Pretty sure you can, although i don't think they'll make much difference.....

If the car is going light on the front at speed it could be something as simple as the rear ride height is wrong, or at least lower than the front....

Depends what the problem is that you are experiencing?

front is lower than the rear, when turning round a bend the front gives way, bare in mind im running 285/30/19 on the rear with a v8 modded wing and a gt3 transom on the back, and the front is running 235/35/18 iirc.

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

At what speed is the front giving way?!

You need to be traveling at a decent speed for the aerodynamics to have more of an effect than the mechanical grip....

Can you feel your front wheels scrubbing? (understeering) Might be a geometry issue, esp with the different wheel sizes.

yeah it does understeer, i just assumed its the fact that i have serious grip and downforce on the rear and nothing really up front, even whe i ran the 100bhp of nos the rear never really gave way

Sounds like the problem is more related to the increased rear tyre size....generating more grip relative to the fronts.

Quick example,

S1 Elises where reported to have a tendency to over steer which caught a lot of people out....Lotus addressed this on the S2 by fitting it with narrower fronts which reduced the front end grip so the cars then tended towards under steer.... You could spec wider fronts at the time iirc.

Without working out if your size increases are proportional to the originals i wouldn't like to say for certain. But its more than likely to be something along these lines thats causing it rather than anything to do with wings and transoms.

Karl, your car was engineered to have oversteer, a slight amount and it certainly shouldn't understeer. You'd do well to take it to a professional as your weight distribution will be all over the place with your mods and standard Lotus setup won't be any use on the car. Jon is quite correct, your aerodynamic 'package' won't have any effect to be honest at less than a large number of mphs...

F1 aerodynamics don't work effectively until over 70/75 so it won't have an effect until over that speed at the very least.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

see what your both saying, i dont have a lotus setup anyway i have fully adjustable coil overs, as i didnt like the ride height, so prob all my fault lol. will still keep up on a road with most things, i do know the wing actually flex's around a 1" on side though as it rubs the paint, now thats downforce lol,,,,thanx guys