free hit
counters
V8 Gearbox options? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

V8 Gearbox options?

Good morning to you all,

I am planning on pulling the gearbox this summer to investigate the dragging clutch problem,I expect the two friction plates will have to be replaced,so as the box is off I am considering the following options.

1. Fit the shaft upgrade kit (is the DIY option best left alone)

2.Go for the ford 1" spline or stay with AP

3.Fit the LSD (never considered track days)

4. Would the car be less driveable in anyway

thanks dave

Dave Hopwood

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is another place in the US that is offering an upgraded package. They just started selling this so I have no idea if they are having problems or reliability issues.

But it is worth a look at.

http://hollowayperformance.com

They say No case or clutch modifications are required; No machining of OEM parts, No parts exchange required.

JoeyO

2001 V8

Edited by joeyoesprit

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

Hi David,

Been there done that.

1. I would stay with the original shaft unless you have some serious HP-upgrades done. You will discover that the original spline will have no lubrication left, it may be even corroded. Thats actually the source of the problem.

2. Get two new friction disks

3. Fitting a limited slip differential is a very good idea :rofl:

4. After the repair your Esprit will drive like new one, just a bit better in powerful cornering with the LSD fitted :lol:

Cheers

Marcus

Edited by Bibs

Marcus

Well, depends if you can afford the upgrade. When I bought my Esprit, the 2nd gear already grinding. The

car has 40,000 miles and ready for a new clutch. Derek Bell has explanation why the 2nd gear crapping out, some simply blamed the driver...who knows.

I contacted Kevin (GTO Engineering) and sold me the complete clutch (twin disc/pressure plates), bought a new ATB quaife and the complete kit for the transmission shaft upgrade (comes with new 1st gear-2nd gear in different ratio, gaskets, seals 2nd gear synchro) and the cost (ready?) a whoooooping $6,500. I have not install those parts ...been very cold here in New England. You can call Halloway performance (its a new design, I don't know if been tested) but I went to GTO Engineering because their kits are proben and no operational & installation issue. Halloway could be the same but for $6,500 ain't taking a chance....too much money!

Now I know why wifey not talking to me.

I had the Quaife upgrade and LSD done by Kevin/GTO Engineering about 2 years and 3,000 miles ago.

Kevin, superb customer service, nice bloke.

I've not done any track days so can't comment on the 'performance' driving aspect, particularly the slippy diff against a standard 'loose' diff.

1st gear is straight cut so you notice more noise in that gear especially in slow - on and off the throttle driving in that gear. But no notice able difference moving off and going up the gears in normal driving.

1st is a little taller than the original ratio (its like - 1 1/4... compared with 1st and 2nd on the original box). So a tiny bit more slipping of the cluth to move off, and hill starts are more difficult.

One pain I find personally with the longer first gear, is in stop start traffic. Rather than chase the rear of the car in front and be, on and off the throttle and brakes, up and down the gears. I've always let a good sized gap develop to the car in front, get the clutch up and just trickle along in 1st on tickover or a tiny bit of throttle. Much smoother, a lot less work for me, better mechanically for my car, and I get to the front of the queue in exactly the same time as the tailgater (except for the odd car that lane changes into the big gap). Tickover on the modified box drives the car a bit to fast for this technique, damn!

So in summary, 1) I find the upgraded box has some small disadvantages at say 5 MPH.. 2) Can't tell any diference at normal road driving speeds. 3) I'm clueless about flat out on a track day, but told the slippy diff will be great in tighter corners!

But my main priority was to give the car the strength of gearbox it needed and should have had in the first place. A Lotus engineer involved in the V8's development, (he was with the historic F1 Lotus team at Donnington in 2006), told me the gearbox was known to be too weak for the V8, and he seemed slightly embarassed in saying they could have done better. But explained the retail price was already so high they just couldn't do any more development/spec changes that would have certainly increase the manufacturing costs/final price even further - which I can understand - 60K was already a massive price for a Lotus back in 1996! When I said I was having the box rebuilt with the Quaife upgrade and an LSD, he smiled and said that was the way to go, and a spec close to how the engineers would have done it in the first place, given a free choice.

From a personal point of view, I know I can drive the car hard and the gearbox can take it.. With a standard box I'd have been tippy toeing around worrying about something breaking again...

Jeff H

Edited by jeff_hooper

Thanks for the replies,

Stop start driving in traffic was one of my main concerns and I think you have answered that one for me Jeff ,which is a shame because I like the sound of your setup.So it looks like it may be the LSD with everything else left as is,this then,will hopefully stop straight line wheel spining in second gear when having a blast.Marcus is your LSD a DIY install for anyone with reasonable mechanical skills?

Dave Hopwood

Jeff,

That sounds like the setup I am after. would it be too cheeky to ask how much it all set you back? You can pm me if you wish.

Thanks

Stuart.

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004

Hi David,

Not an easy question ....

Once the gearbox is completely removed and splitted into two halves its not a problem to put in the LSD. Of course, you have to re-adjust the output-shaft (differential) bearings after you have put everything together again.

The main time consuming work is taking out the transmission and splitting it into two halfes. All the other work is quite fun :lol:

Cheers

Marcus

Marcus is your LSD a DIY install for anyone with reasonable mechanical skills?

Marcus