free hit
counters
What colour shall I paint my S1! - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Matt-watts

What colour shall I paint my S1!

What colour shall I paint my S1  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well I've been looking up Viper green and this is a picture of a viper green Elite

full.jpg

I've made this in photoshop comparing it with the viper green in the pictures from my car

Espritviper.jpg

You really like it ?

Would you drive round in a car like that ?

Help !

Matt

That looks great, like a say the S1 can carry off that colour easy.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

What a nice Elite, well done, thats the best one I've ever seen. (why so many wheel chocks, bit windy over there ?)

Not sure about the Esprit though - too much of a polo colour for me. Maybe a slightly darker shade tending towards BRG would do though not original.

White does look the biz, but would I actually have one ? - No. always getting too mucky, at least on our sodden & muddy roads.

Metal flake blue, thats the one. Bigger flakes the better.

:lol:

No to Viper Green! Yes it's unusual and it's good to keep it original, but you'll never sell it. The colour looks almost as intense as that green S300, that's been for sale for a year or so.

White, you can't go wrong :).

Well Matt you are a bit further forward in yellow doesn't seem popular (always thought yellow suited the S2/S3 better IMHO)

The S1 could carry a colour like that easy, the car you painted over as an example was a tired 92000 mile car - picture it again with zingy machine turned wheels, proper ride height, and a fresh interior. All depends whether you like being stared at wherever you go and half the people curling their noses up (like orange car drivers suffer!!) and it sounds like you have doubts. If you are not going wow now it probably won't grow on you.

Mat K's offer sounds the best to me!

PS Mat K - there was a lime green S1 spotted in Colchester, but that was easy 5 years ago, and we all know with these cars that can mean the difference between the road and being dumped under some tyres at the back of a barn!

You really like it ?

Help !

Matt

Yes I like it, but of course that's a personal taste thing. Would I buy one that colour - no. If I bought it (and I nearly did buy the car before you!) without realising that it was that colour originally (and the only one of its kind) would I re-spray it viper green - quite possibly (particularly if I could get some provenance from Lotus to backup the claim of it being the only one ever).

But none of that matters, forget your car and its colour for a moment - if somebody gave you the money and told you to go out and buy yourself an S1 (but you can only buy one) which colour would you go looking for?

I suspect you can probably answer that question quite quickly....paint it that colour.

And don't forget the original paint is long gone and you (or somebody else) could always re-spray it again in the future!!

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Beauty is subjective and only you can decide Matt.

As Paul says, paint it a colour you like - it will still be VIN 7802/0329G and it will still have the distinction of having been the only metallic viper green S1 to leave the factory albeit now in a colour which pleases you. Any subsequent buyer will have the option of grinding off the gleaming Monaco white paintwork and spray it the original colour.

Best wishes,

Si

Edited by jetace25

I love it in that Colour. We do have problems in the UK though, selling Green cars as they are historically considered Unlucky. It's a simple as that and it causes us hell and all problem trying to sell a green car.

But like I said I do lurve it in that colour and remember seeing an Elite in that when i were a boy!

Well I've been looking up Viper green and this is a picture of a viper green Elite

full.jpg

I've made this in photoshop comparing it with the viper green in the pictures from my car

Espritviper.jpg

You really like it ?

Help !

Matt

Go for it! Think on the Miura from the sixties, they got also that viper green and got along with.

Do it do it or sell it. (sorry for mine insistence)

Jean

Ok I have to add my 2 cents (US). That was my Viper Green Elite. It was a 74 (first model year of that style). It was a color both loved and hated.

Turns out it was not the original color though. It was originally Calypso red. Owner number 5 (of 9) had it sprayed with the Porsche color Viper Green. Thats what you see there. Sorry but its not the original Lotus color. This is not a guess. I actually spoke to the PO who painted it and the factory plate had the Red color code.

Given that, the photoshop of the S1 does look cool. Someone needs to see if they can recover the orginal Lotus formula to get the color right.

As for the wheel chucks.....the emergency brake on the car could hold it still in anything more that a 1% grade. They also stuck like mad if left on too long. So it was easier to use the chucks and release the brake and leave the tranny in nuetral.

Brings back memories. It was flatbedded to my home without a windscreen and with a torn up interior.

It was my proof that I could get a 907 engine running and keep it running before I got my S1. Gone is the Elite but the Lagoon Blue S1 sits waiting for the warm weather in New York and is getting ready for its appearance at the New York International Auto Show at the Jacob Javits Center. Our local Lotus club will have 10 cars on display at the show on March 29th. If your in town, stop by.

Dom G

Gone is the Elite but the Lagoon Blue S1 sits waiting for the warm weather in New York and is getting ready for its appearance at the New York International Auto Show at the Jacob Javits Center. Our local Lotus club will have 10 cars on display at the show on March 29th. If your in town, stop by.

Dom G

That makes a visit to N Y more interesting.

Jean

Funny, I have never tought that colorcould have that much effect on desirability. Why are green cars considered unlucky? Bahama Yellow is **unique** that said the first person that saw my 924 in Bahama Yellow bought is at full price ($3000 cdn for a '78 5spd). I think green would be an amazing period color. You could always paint it white for resale if green did not pan out ($$$ though). I agree that white is the S1 color, but there is something to be said about being a bit of a stand out.

I'd add my vote for the Viper Green. The S1 is really capable of carrying a color such as that. Unusual colors on S1's are really cool too. I sold my Oxford Blue car to Tony K and I will most likely never see another. When I do buy another S1 I will be looking for something other than red, yellow or white. A lime green or orange one is definitely on my shopping list, but on this side of the pond we are usually stuck with all the more mundane choices so it probably won't happen. Personally I think the green would look fantastic but in the end it's your car and you should paint it whatever color makes you happy. I'm sure the car will be much better off then when it was in that sorry state you found it in.

It doesn't. Still a royal pain in the ass to sell. When we have green cars offered we take the Book figure and deduct

Funny, here everyone wants to paint thier cars BRG. I guess vintage "blower" Bentleys must escape the curse (or a 1000 gbp is nothing in relation to the value). The only color that has any stigma (that I know of) is white, as it is considered a commercial/fleet color (locally atleast) that said, my daily driver is "alpine white".

Edited by Speedster9110

I think he has regrets that he has started this pol

Jean

Yes you're probably right. He came round my house the other day and told me that when he goes to the supermarket he can't even decide which type of apples to buy!! Hahaha so there is no hope...

Paul.

Is Your Name Unlucky In Car Insurance?

Steer Clear of Lloyd in the Brown Car, Warns Esure

Research from UK insurer esure reveals how first names and car colours relate to claims and accident statistics.

(PRWEB) August 19, 2004 -- What's in a name? According to UK internet car insurer esure, your first name and the colour of car that you choose can make a big difference to how likely you are to make a claim on your car insurance.

Natasha the crasher, brown on her luck

Almost a third (30%) of men called Lloyd are likely to make a claim on their car insurance over the course of a year, and the same is true of more than a third (35%) of women named Natasha. Whilst not the raciest or riskiest of colours, brown cars see the most claims, knocking last year's 'pretty in pink' drivers off the top spot.

Unlucky Men's Names Name

Lloyd 30%

Sam 28.2%

Leon 28%

Phil 28%

Rob 26%

Unlucky Women's Names Name

Natasha 35%

Shelley 31%

Juliet 30%

Natalie 28%

Justine 27.8%

Unlucky Car Colours Colour

Brown 22.6%

Pink 21.3%

Black 20.9%

Yellow 20.8%

Mauve 20.3%

Murray's the cream of the driving crop

If you're driving with Murray or Mavis, chances are you're in safe hands, as only 12% of Murray's and 7% of Mavis' have made claims. All the better if they're in a cream car - only 14.6% of their drivers have made claims.

Lucky Men's Names Name

Murray 12%

Royston 12.2%

Archie 12.9%

Terrence 13%

Ernest 13.2%

Lucky Women's Names Name

Mavis 7%

Susanne 11%

Glenys 11%

Vivien 12%

Doris 12%

lucky Car Colours Colour

Cream 14.6%

Beige 15%

White 16.4%

Bronze 16.5%

Maroon 17%

Mike Pickard, head of risk and underwriting at esure said, "The research shows some surprising results; brightly coloured cars, even though they're more visible, won't necessarily keep you claim free. There are lots of other factors to consider, such as the types and ages of drivers likely to choose particular colours as their lifestyle badge, or the cars' attractiveness to thieves.

"And while you might worry about driving with a Doris, names that are more common among older generations are some of the safest."

*Percentage figures were calculated using the details of over 100,000 claims from Esure over the last four years.

So, nope, green cars are not unlucky!!! Touch wood etc etc

So there you have it Matt conclusive proof...

Unlucky Car Colours

Yellow = 20.8%

lucky Car Colours

White = 16.4%

The choice has been made - it has to be white!!

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Very vibrant and always looks fresh, defo Yellow!!!!!

post-2977-1204289259.jpg

Very vibrant and always looks fresh, defo Yellow!!!!!

I own a white one but I have to say it does look bloody good in yellow :sofa: I'll have a yellow one next...

Paul.

My personnal 2c: that VIPER GREEN is OUTSTANDING !

While reading the first page of this thread, i was willing to write to go for the Mint Green i had in my mind because of the Lotus Esprit article shown a bit above...

However, the flashy Viper green looks even cooler ! The perfect match with the era & Esprit lines.

I would go and drive around EVERY SINGLE TIME I WOULD HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY with such a car & colour.

Man, it's a classic car & no other colour will suit it better (sorry white fans but white is tooooooo much seen & common on these !)

You don't buy an Esprit to be discrete, so why bother.

Plus, that green was the original colour, so why change it ?

Here's my car seller point of view : i sell a lot of classics all year long and the ones commanding higher prices are the one-off/rare/special colours... you wouldn't want your neighbour (or for a rare car, anyone in a club/forum) have the same ? right ?

Ok, example,

BMW 320, green, 30'000 kms

BMW 323i, silver, 30'000 kms

both cars in same condition.

320 sold in 1 day for much more than the 323i ...

which one looks cooler ?

sorry to be a little bit out of topic with these BMWs, but i'm a huge fan of rare and special ORIGINAL colours...

greenvsgreyywj8.jpg

I chose white in the poll... of course I am biased because of my '80 Turbo Esprit!

But when I saw that Viper Green photoshop, and now that I know the original was that colour...

VIPER GREEN IT IS !!!!

GO FOR IT !!!!