free hit
counters
interior carpet replacement - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bigsi

interior carpet replacement

many many thanks to nick fulcher who sent me some samples of interior grade carpet the other week. i spent some time talking with nik and steve regarding what to do in the car, and nik kindly sent me some samples, it turned out the the very first piece to fall out of the envelope was the one i chose and was sample one.

the carpet arriverd today and the special adhesive nick does should be here tomorrw so hopefully with a few more good days i will get on with the carpet and get it replaced... i hope! fingers crossed. it would be good to at least get the carpets done for donny as my old ones are not very good at all.

i will add a few pics when i have got 5 mins spare, but its the most luxurios red i have ever seen and will ompliment the tan leather in the car very very well.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

How much was the carpet set? I will be doing mine at some point hopefully soon, is there a number or web link to Nick?

its not a set its actually a roll of automotive carpet (6 metres) and i will cut and trim myself. i will template my area in a 2 mm template cardboard where i need to then transfer to the carpet.

as for nicks details here you go: http://www.coachtrimmer.co.uk/index.html

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EOtherstuff/NickFulcher.html

Edited by bigsi

well today was produtive and not productive. i spent this morning removing the interior trim so i could get to the rest of the carpet, it was a little difficult in places but i managed to get it all out and put to one side, 24 years of grime and marks have taken thier toll on the leather but its in very good condition and with a good clean up and pleanty of conditioning im sure i can get it looking great again.

The rear firewall upper panel and centre box

DSCN6012.jpg

The centre console sections and console surround unit, also one of my aluminium arbon formers for the sills and the internal sill

DSCN6013.jpg

Once i had removed all of those sections i then removed all the old carpet that was left in there, it really did smell quite bad and i had to put a dust mask on and gloves because of the mould on it in places. however one carpet wouldnt budge and i had to really strain to pull at it, this is where it went tits up for me this morning, my head suddenly went light and i must have passed out as i found myself lying against the bloody wall with a slightly sore head!, so after having a sit down and something to eat and a cup of sweet tea oh and a few headache tablets i finished off taking the carpet out by pulling it up carefully and cutting it like filleting a fish.

After it was all out i then managed to get all the old glue off the drivers rear panel , after 24 years it just rolled off with my fingers, this is good as with a wipe with some pre solvent it will be a grease free and clean key for the new adhesive.

i managed to keep the entre tunnel sides in one piece for templates and the rear panels also, these i will transfer to the carpet and then bond in.

the hardest thing i think is going to be the wheel well sides as they are curved sections and because of my size hard to get to and bond in.

Anyway here are the pics of the finished days work, im going to have a nice hot shower, another cup of tea and some food. I will try and update process as i go on, but to be honest i want to keep it a surprise until donny.

DSCN6014.jpg

DSCN6015.jpg

DSCN6016.jpg

thanks talon, well i a going to try and make the floormat, back piece and the tunnel side out of one piece of carpet so there is no seams to see or to hide. i will use some cardboard to template everything up and then using the old carpet setions that are nice and good i can place them on and mark them in also.

Simon you may struggle to get a sharp corner at the floor tunnel join doing it in one piece. I know trimmer usually use steam to relax the carpet in area's they wish to manipulate. Not sure how well your chosen carpet will manage. May be worth testing on some off cut.

no problem with this carpet troy, well there shouldnt be its 7000 grade from nick and is quite flexible, if i need a steamer thats not a problem mine is in the workshop out back so i can use that if need be.

another way to get it in is to glue it in sectional areas, and weight it down also to prevent movement.

i did speak with nick yeaterday as after going on my butt i wasnt confident in doing it anymore but if i dont try it i will never know if i can do it, but at the same time im still nervous as if i ruin the carpet then i have to buy more. im still not sure what to do really, i may just leave it for nick im not sure.

Well done so far Si, stripping it out looks to be a big job on its own, nothing wrong with getting help when you need it :)

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

well today wasnt really productive in any way really, i didnt manage to get on with the carpet, im a little too sore and unsure aboout things. so i got on with my handbrake mechs as they were unovered, i finally managed to adjust my handbrake cables so i olny need a click or two on the lever to engage the handbrakes now.

i cleaned up the mech and re-coated it, before fitting a locking ring onto the base of the shaft by using some 2mm pipe setion and splitting it in on one side then compressing it together and tack welding it. the handle then fitted a treat. I wasnt going to show you this till donny but as its not the zonda one i will show you anyway as im not giving anything away.

DSCN6020.jpg

Edited by bigsi

well today i managed to get some time to try and get the template for the carpet done, i have managed to do a rough template in corrogated ardboard and will transfer this to a thin plain cardboard sheet and then refine the ut shape and fold sections to a perfect fit , i can then transfer to the carpet and test fit, then pick the first setion and bond it in then move onto the following setions, i will repeat the process on the other side also. i will try and take as many pics etc as i can for future reference for anyone else who wants to do a one piece pod carpet.

heres a pic of the first fit prior to initial cut and marking edges up.

DSCN6027.jpg

DSCN6028.jpg

i gotta be honest though i am struggling to get this done, im finding it difficult to get in there and also my sizer isnt helping me much, but im hoping i can do it, if not i will have to buy another roll of carpet from nick and re-do it again till i get it right.

update.

well this week im going to install the drivers side carpet, i have to wait for a couple of things from nick fulher but im going to get on with it and do it, i wont know if i can do it if i dont try. luckily i can reverse the template for the left hand side also so i can get both sides done and everything back in this wekk, i hope!

well i just spent an hour outside fitting the first section of carpet, i managed to do both wheel wells and the tucks against the front inner wall and up inside behind the dashboard.

i used the complete left had piece of carpet as a template and reversed it for the right side, they both went in a treat. the glue that nick fulher sent me is bloody good, and doesnt take long to go off to the point you can place the carpet in.

the drivers side was harder to do because of the pedals and the fact i had riveted the black sill back in, so i had time to re drill the rivet heads off and take it out to make sure there was a perfect carpet fit.

im not going to put pictures up until the whole thing is done, im taking stage by stage pics and will upload the lot when finished.

si,

im a little confused why you didnt use the old carpet as the template? thats what i did on

mine last time? think our cars are different anyway when it comes to carpet as mine is

basically a a edged floor mat on the base and the sides tuck under it.

looking good though on the template, i say leave that in and paint it black, saves all the

heartache LOL

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

the old carpet fell apart due to water ingress, rot and mould, the only decent wall tunnel section was from the passenger side, as for the other pices i used the back, side tunnel as part of the template i made i then had to work everythng else out as i went along.

thats answered that then sir lol

and get some pics up

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

i had hoped to have had the carpets in and everything back to normal by today, but im waiting for some speial pads from nick fulcher to arrive and as usual the poxy dumb-ass posman around here hasnt turned up, as hes more than likely sat on his fat arse drinking a cup of tea and eating his lunch, or doing bugger all as usual.

we used to get a morning delivery, now we get a "it might be today, it might be tomorrow" delivery service. i wouldnt mind but its bloody nice here today , suns out and its hot and i can get it all done today!!!!! bloody fuming i am, bloody fuming.

Edited by bigsi

UPDATE:

had a courtesy call this morning from nick asking if the bits had arrived, at the time they still hadnt and nick was not very happy about this as they had been sent the tuesday prior, i did explain to nick that the posties in my area are useless on the best of times. however 20-30 mins later they finally arrived with no explanation why they took so long.

these are the bits needed, the two central retangle pieces are to go in the indent in the floor under the seat, the two larger outside pieces are cut to spec to go on the front inner wall behind the pedals area both sides.

DSCN6035.jpg

I also had two pieces of tailors chalk from nick to aid in the marking and cutting of the carpets, the reason for the chalk is it wont damage or leave a un-removeable mark in the carpet and with a quick rub its gone

DSCN6036.jpg

this material has a strong rubber coating to the top and a foam underside, this is the same material used on the tunnels and floor areas also. its basically a soundproofer with a water resistant coating, but it is also a great point for bonding the carpet to and with some pre solvent cleaning provides a perfect key for the adhesive to stick to.

DSCN6037.jpg

I was going to put some pics up of them being bonded in but its raining like mad here so it will have to wait for another day.

I have been able to go out to the workshop today and lay the template and cut the carpet for the drivers side, i have allowed for excess cuts and notch trims. lukily it came out in one piece and looks great with no frays or pulls anywhere, remember you get what you pay for and this carpet is a very very good quality carpet, im pleased that nick was able to supply me this, i think its going to look fantastic in the car.

sorry no pics of the carpet or fitting until its finished! you will have to be patient with me.

what are you doing about the edges? and around the handbrake matey?

the edges on the carpet dont fray, and i have run a small hot iron along the sides to creat a melted edge seal, this was done quickly, however the carpet is already bonded by the rubber backing so wont fray anyway. as for the edges they all butt fit and are bonded down right to the edges theres no where for them to lift.

as for the sills, i still plan on doing them in carbon fibre once done i can template them and get nick to make me some gaiters for the handbrake and gearstick

oh thats cool then, so you dont have to edge the carpet anywhere then,,,mmmMMM interesting, did you tuck the tunnel carpet under the floor carpet slightly aswell? i sooo need to do this asap

im not telling you, and im not showing you until

a: its finished and i dont cock it up.

b: i have to rip it out, buy more carpet from nick and get him to fit it for me.