free hit
counters
S1/S2 Front Tyres - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Guys,

My local tyre place have been very helpful in trying to get hold of some decent tyres for the Esprit. Some of you may remember my warning about the Falken tyres I have fitted which left the grip akin to driving on an ice rink!! Swapping the rears when I managed to get hold of the Fuldas for the back improved things substantially but the understeer in the dry was still shocking and in the wet... :)

Anyway, managed to get a pair of Nexen CP641 in 205/60/14H - about

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Glad you found a good set! My S2 isn't due for new tires yet and I can't put out for spares as my Honda is suddenly having expensive problems (with 172k miles on the clock it's about time!) but I'll definitely remember the Nexens for the future.

Edited by Clark

i have Nexen 3000 on my 88 Turbo, they seem pretty good , get rave reviews from the states.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

205/60/14 on the front and 205/70/14 on the back. If you do 195/70 on the front it'll probably give a similar rolling radius to the 205/60's .

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

I have seen factory cars with both the 205s and the 195s on the front. However, I recall both were 60 profiles with the 70s reserved for the rear.

Anyone else?

Dom Giangrasso

1977 S1 Esprit - Lagoon Blue

what a mess!!!

I will also need a full set of new tyres, and I have no idea what's on the market and it's best and wich sizes are used...

...but I actually have 195/60 HR14 front and 205/70 HR14 rear...as it says here

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

Lotus Esprit S2 JPS #27 -restoration process-

We had a thread about this a while back but I can't seem to find it. My service manual says 205s all round for a standard Euro S2.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

what a mess!!!

I will also need a full set of new tyres, and I have no idea what's on the market and it's best and wich sizes are used...

...but I actually have 195/60 HR14 front and 205/70 HR14 rear...as it says here

I would love to find the VR rates on all 4: 205/60 VR14 front & 205/70 VR14 rear. I have now VR front & HR rear and feel the difference. But I am rather happy with the corner ability now.

Jean

Here we go again! :lol:

The stock front size for all S1 and S2 Esprits is 205/60/14. All of the S1 and S2 owners manuals say so, all federal S1s were originally fitted with 205s, the early orange S1 in the famous publicity shot in front of Hethel is wearing 205s, etc. The red prototype (IDGG01) is wearing 195/70 or 65/14 in its publicity shots. It appears that an early press release stated 195/something/14 for the fronts, and a couple of magazines published it that way, and their misinformation continues to spread. The choice of 205/60 may have been a last-minute decision by Lotus during the prototype-preproduction phase, but the stock, original size for "all" S1 and S2 Esprits is 205/60/14. Everything you see with 195 is either a misprint, or a replication of a misprint. :sofa:

USA PEOPLE: IS ANYONE INTERESTED IN DOING A GROUP BUY/IMPORT OF CARAT ASSUROS IN 205/70VR14? We have a small but reasonable selection of H-rated 205/60/14 tires available to us, but the only 205/70/14 H-rated tire is the SUMI-BLOW-MO HTR-200 piece of squealing, sidewall-flexing, tread-separating DOOKIE. Also, it is the stock size on most 1976-82 Ferrari 308s, and there has been some interest in the Ferrari community in importing "a container full". They are DOT-approved; just not enough demand (Goodyear thinks) to make them available in the U.S. (And I don't blame them, because so many idiots in our country are content with the cheapest junk tire they can put on their cars. :lol:)

Anyone interested?

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

So here we are again...

I need to buy a full set of tyres for the Esprit S2 wich is going to be finished in a few weeks...so here the question again...

you were right on sizes, they are 205/60 14-front and 205/70 14 rear...

Fulda's?

Nexen?

Goodyear?

where to get them???

what about this Toyos?

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry179003

Edited by Franky

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

Lotus Esprit S2 JPS #27 -restoration process-

I agree with Petey G the Falken 512s are the most appalling pieces of trash. However the replacement ZE912s are out and all reports seem positive. Can a leopard change it's spots?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Hey Franky,

I would recommend my current setup only because I haven't tested anything else yet. At the moment, I cannot fault the Fulda Assuros for the rears exceptthey are now twice the price since I first bought them about 6-7 years ago! www.mytyres.co.uk are listing them at the moment in the V rating for

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi Guys

I now need tyres for my S1 too. I have looked at whats available. The Vredesteins look really good for the rears, but they are only available for the rears. Whats the fashion at the moment for the fronts. I am thinking about Nexen all round! Any comments on them?

Regards

Cos

Hi Cos,

Can you get Nexens in the correct size for the rears? As far as I know there are no tyres out there where you can fir the same pattern all around.

I would still recommend the setup in my previous post.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Really need to get a new set of tyres for my S2.2, keep looking at these recommendations, look on blackcircles, and frankly come away uninspired. Really want to keep the same tyres on all 4 wheels, and really should not keep the 10(?) year old Eagles that are on now

Would it be really silly to look at Hankook Optimo K715 205/70/14 rears, but fit the slightly narrower 195/65/14 fronts (only 7mm change in diameter) Would give same tyre on all 4 corners

Someone on the Excel.net forum posted up that they had found VR Dunlops in the correct size, the supplier he brought up was different to the one I just googled but are these any use?:

My link

In the garage no-one can hear you scream