free hit
counters
88 US Spec Wheels - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ozontour

88 US Spec Wheels

G'day guys and Gals...

Just wondering if anybody has put custom wheels on their 88 U.S. Spec car.

I was thinking of maybe updating the current ones with some sho and shines...

Has anyone made their "88 Bling?

I believe that they are a custom make? if anyone knows of a set that will bolt straight on, it would save me some $$

thanks in advance

Justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you have a USA Spec car, it'll have the inboard brakes?

That means the dish on your rear wheels is totally different.. you're effectively looking at wheels that will fit a Guigaro I think.

the wheel offset on an US 88 is -17 . . . which means you just need spacers . . . i purchased some monoblock 2001 lotus OZ wheels from a V8. I ordered the 35mm spacers from marcus . . .

pukespritracing . . .

the V8 wheels were +20 offset . . . so I should be in the ballgame . . .

Interesting numbers

1 inch = 25.4 mm so

25mm spacer = .98 inches

35mm spacer = 1.37 inches

Difference between US spec 88 and V8 offset = -20.3mm to +17mm = 37.3mm or 1.47 inches outward

The wheels on a V8 were 2 inches wider on the back, so you still have a more full fender well even with 35mm spacers. Any spacer will move your offset to the positve side from inside to outside.

Good luck . . .

Edited by CBrownstead

Thanks Guys

I do have the Citroen Tranny, as it is definately an 88 US spec.

I am not sure if spacers are legal here in Oz though, I know they used to be, but do recall seeing them at a speed shop a while ago.

If they are legal again, do we know what else has the same stud pattern? most likely a GM or Toyota?

It woudl be good if i can get some off the shelf wheels with some spacers, to get them custom built in 3 piece wheels is going to cost $4000AUD plus the tyres!

That works out to be about GBP$2k which is a lot of money for a set of wheels. If I were to put them on a mondeo they would cost me a third that price.

Thanks for all your input to date

Justin

I wish there were a similar pattern . . . lotus is 5x108 I think . . .anyway . . . i purchased my spacers from Marcus (THE lotus man), they are original bolt pattern to original bolt pattern. I do know of a few friends that had the spacers made such that they were 5x108 to the lotus and then exposed a 5x130 I think . . . cannot remember . . . I have a couple porsches . . . and I have purchased wheel spacers for a 928 . .cannot remember the pattern, porsche has been pretty consistant for years, regardless of the wheel size, 15,16,18,19 . . . etc . .the bolt pattern has stayed fairly consistant. those germans do their engineering well . . .

Mercury grand marquis and volvo and ferrari share the 5x108 bolt pattern.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

True I have both a 308 and a testarossa that have the 5x108 bolt pattern . . .problem with ferrari is that they shove their hubs out as far as they can get them for handling, always have . . .sot he testarossa uses +40mm offset on front and +53mm offset on the back . . .these would not fit under the wheelwell of the lotus . . .

Yes... that is true. But, you can get wheel adapters, though I wouldn't be enthusiastic about a wheel adapter that large. However, I have discovered that the price of custom wheels is not that bad, so that's probably what I'll be doing.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Yeah you are probably right Mark, might jut be easier to get some ROH or Simmons Three Piece wheels made to suit.

could not bring myself to put a volvo set of rims on the old girl...

Thanks again for your input guys

Justin

there are a ton of porsche aftermarkets . . .if you are going to get spacers done, or you can get a toyota offset which will open up a world of wheels . . . i love the look of the OZ's, AWI and Saturns so I purchased those . . .

Excellent!

I saw these on ebay last night, they are 5 x 109 with 40p offset

I dont reckon they will fit but they certainly are bling! they are off of a late model volvo...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...E:X:AAQ:AU:1123

cheap at AUD$400, that is about 175GBP

Might do the exercise for fun to see how close i can get them