free hit
counters
Alternator...Lucas or Motorola? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
philleech

Alternator...Lucas or Motorola?

The basket case S1 that I am bringing back to life didnt have an alternator fitted so Im unsure as to whether mine should have a Lucas or a Motorola. Im guessing because its a 1977 S1 (chassis 0278G) then its probably a Lucas but thought Id check before I buy one.

Phil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It would have been a Lucas but the replacements are Motorola. Slightly diffentent wiring attachments but overall they look pretty identical. I'm sure you can get a Lucas if you try hard enough.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

If you want to return home on something other than a flatbed, I'd suggest the Motorola! :)

FWIW, most Federal S1s had the 55 amp Motorola, and they don't give any problems.

- T

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

If you want to return home on something other than a flatbed, I'd suggest the Motorola! :)

FWIW, most Federal S1s had the 55 amp Motorola, and they don't give any problems.

- T

What is the part number for the Motorola ?

Phil

Hi

think you'll find the Lucas one went obsolete a few years ago, it was a 55amp Lucas 18CR, you could try an automotive electrical wholesaler they may have recon ones. The Lucas one was all markets but not the USA.

Fitted to S1's also was a Motorola one @ 55amp, this has been superseeded by a 70amp unit back in June 1994. This was fitted to USA cars only on S1 but to all S2's everywhere. As it says above it'll also fit yours.

Lotus part number A907E6320F sorry not sure what the Motorola one is.

If you wanted to know as well the factory still have them in stock.

If you have a parts book go to page EJ2 and it's all there to read.

Good luck.

Gooner. :)

Parts Supplying Lotus God