free hit
counters
Bike Rack Esprit - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Jonathan

Bike Rack Esprit

Weekend break, Esprit, New Forrest, running shoes and bike. Couple of 30 milers, nothing too hard :)

I'm sure I've seen someone do this on the Esprit but not seen any real close ups. Can it be done ? (I know I can get a snowboard on one hehe)

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = [email protected]

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Take it apart and stick it in the boot.

GKP mocked up a bike on an Esprit but I'd certainly not recommend it. The force the bike would create could cause all sorts of bodywork problems and would take 3bhp off you too. Next thing, you'll be looking for a towbar and a nice caravan :):(

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Take the top off and stick in the hole. I used to carry a sailboard like that.

Roger :)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Bibs,there is no such thing as a nice caravan

I disagree, I've seen several nice caravans, all on Top Gear.

Admittedly none could be used for habitation once they been made nice, or at least not closed in habitation.

The odd bit of fire, car driven at them, dropped from crane altered them, but for the better I feel.

Andy

Jon. All those years spent under your car have addled your brain. Don't be a nutter....send Jonathan back....whoooo Jonathan are you there.....whooooo :)

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Before this descends into complete sillyness, ( :) ) this is how the bike rack photo was set up. I used the Genuine Parts luggage rack and then bolted/clamped a generic bike rack on top.

Notice how the luggage rack is secured to the car's bodywork - it just uses vacuum suckers on it's feet. These are fine for suitcases etc but something as wobbly as a bicycle may produce too much lever effect for the feet to hold on.

I must stress I've not tried the whole set-up on the road and probably never will.

Also note how much overhang there is for the bike's rear wheel - if you have a spoiler then you've no chance of even mounting the bike onto the luggage rack, even for a photo.

rack012.jpg

Edit to add this side-on pic to show overhang:

Bikerack014-1.jpg

Edited by GKP

It's simple, raise the bike rack by a few inches, mount the rear wheel where the front wheel currently goes and have another rack attached where the roof panel would normally go (take the roof out).

I can see a few issues, other than the stress the mountings would put on the body, there's the "where do I store the roof? erm you can't if you have any luggage in the boot. there's the what if it rains? if it's raining when you're on the bike you get wet so what's the difference if you're in the car?

OK I can't see anybody going for that way of doing it, but it looks like the only other option is have some sort of trailer behind the Esprit with the bikes on.

Andy

Coffee covered keyboard, mouse and screen upon seeing that one with the ladder + bucket - I thought it was a yellow one !!

So it's not been tested on the road ?

I'm not interested in breaking any sound barriers with it on it's just the car is my only car now (err has been for a long time) and I just knew I'd seen someone with a bike on one before.

Looks pretty safe if you ask me, as long as you keep it sensible speed (which might be a problem lol)

How much was the rack if you dont mind me asking ? (the one that goes into the Esprit)

Jonathan your not going all green on us are you....I thought you hated cyclists????

No I hate pro-cyclists with all the lycra and funky this that and the other that refuse to ride in the cycle lane, and ride 2 abreast on roads and do the w***er signals at motorists who bib them up. I am a 'peoples cyclist' in that I am possibly the only one in SE england who stops/gives way for pedestrians, rides in cycle lanes (even if it means crossing the road) and appreciate the fact cars have to pay for the road and should have right of way !

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = [email protected]

How much was the rack if you dont mind me asking ? (the one that goes into the Esprit)

think they are listed in the recent parts list bibs posted

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Before this descends into complete sillyness, ( :thumbup: ) this is how the bike rack photo was set up. I used the Genuine Parts luggage rack and then bolted/clamped a generic bike rack on top.

Notice how the luggage rack is secured to the car's bodywork - it just uses vacuum suckers on it's feet. These are fine for suitcases etc but something as wobbly as a bicycle may produce too much lever effect for the feet to hold on.

I must stress I've not tried the whole set-up on the road and probably never will.

Also note how much overhang there is for the bike's rear wheel - if you have a spoiler then you've no chance of even mounting the bike onto the luggage rack, even for a photo.

rack012.jpg

Edit to add this side-on pic to show overhang:

Bikerack014-1.jpg

I'd take the wheels off. Definitely the front and maybe the rear also. Then I would install the bike lying on the rack, not upright like in the pic.

This is how I transport my bike (race not mountain) on the Elise. I have the factory luggage rack like yours. No overhang and good for 70-75 mph

Another option: the Bike will snug fit in the rear passenger compartment of the Excel...

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

I noticed this old thread and thought I'd volunteer the bicycle carrier solution that I went with for the Evora.   A SeaSucker Komodo that vacuum mounts to the rear glass.   It was the only ready made thing I could find that kept everything off of any painted surface.   It's been working out well for last couple of months and is way more convenient than removing both wheels, covering the area of the rear seats in towels and carefully getting the frame in and out of the car without scratching any of the painted exterior panels (ugh).  (I just noticed from the early posts:  this rack is for Road Bikes only  For Off-Road Bikes the other carriers vacuum  mount to the roof but I didn't want anything touching any paint)

IMG_1514-fixed-20pct.jpg

Edited by furious_blue
clarify application of this particular rack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1