free hit
counters
Engine cut out issue - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kyliesmith.com

Engine cut out issue

Was out on a country road last night, spirited driving as we all do and hamered it through the gears 3 > 4 on a passing lane then slowed down, turned right, as I was turning right the engine cut out and car became quite heavy like I lost power steering. I was able to coast the car around the corner safely to the side of road and turned key off. All the lights came on the dash before I switched off. I immediately thought belts, but these are all up to date. Checked underneath and belts all ok and it fired up fine. Continued home like nothing had happend. I think I was in second gear at the time. One other time I was in heavy traffic for a brief moment and was in second just idling along and it stalled for no real apparent reason. So dont know if theres any connection there with the revs diving down suddenly.

Any idea where to start or sad case they all do that !! Was thinking perhaps the computer is learning new fuel mixtures? Have put in Shell Premium 95 Octane but will be using BP Ultimate 98 when I get my Company fuel card next week :) .

350.gifNo.23

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Mine has never done that. It did still in nuetral once while sitting at a red light but that was shortly after the battery replacement, so I believe it was relearning.

Sounds fuel related, I've heard myths about cars with twin tanks being starved when they are fairly low on fuel and doing sustained cornering.

Never had it happen to me though - the situation you described is unsafe because the car has effectivly stalled cutting power assist to the brakes and steering, they wouldn't all do that or Lotus would be in a bit of a sticky law suit situation.

Doubt its octane related either, the car should run fine on 95, although again I have heard myths about cars hating certain fuel and loving others, even from brand to brand (texaco / Shell / BP) - owners swear by it but I'm not so sure there is a huge difference, enough to make a car go nutso like that....

facebook = [email protected]

I cant say that I've really noticed much effect of switching to regular fuel from its normal diet of 98.

Most fuelling problems have always produced a sort of 'fade out' of the motor rather than a sudden cut out. To me it sounds electrical/ECU related. Odd that it was in 2nd gear every time?

Did all the instruments and dash lights go off or did the dash lights all come on immediately?

I have a 4 pot and had a similar thing happen to me, kept stalling, then would start, then wouldnt turned out it was an ignition lead from the Dizzy, Do the V8's have this? could just be a loose lead.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Hi Kylie,

I personally would not worry too much about that. I believe that it's just the well known idle-learn-procedure-gone-wrong-symptom.

If it dies, just let it die and donot help by pressing the throttle. Start her up again (without pressing the throttle) and continue your run. After several days and several miles and many restarts you will suddenly notice that the dying symptom has gone.

Cheers

Marcus

PS: Your seals+O-rings+roll pins are on the way to you via Air Mail registered. BTW, the black seal is the left one and the brown one is for the right side of the gearbox.

Marcus

I cant say that I've really noticed much effect of switching to regular fuel from its normal diet of 98.

Most fuelling problems have always produced a sort of 'fade out' of the motor rather than a sudden cut out. To me it sounds electrical/ECU related. Odd that it was in 2nd gear every time?

Did all the instruments and dash lights go off or did the dash lights all come on immediately?

Hi, as soon as it cut out many of the dash lights came on. Yeah its strange thats the lower gears and not in higher ones.

I have a 4 pot and had a similar thing happen to me, kept stalling, then would start, then wouldnt turned out it was an ignition lead from the Dizzy, Do the V8's have this? could just be a loose lead.

Geday Chris I am not 100% sure. I will check the condition of the plugs etc and see if I find anything.

Hi Kylie,

I personally would not worry too much about that. I believe that it's just the well known idle-learn-procedure-gone-wrong-symptom.

If it dies, just let it die and donot help by pressing the throttle. Start her up again (without pressing the throttle) and continue your run. After several days and several miles and many restarts you will suddenly notice that the dying symptom has gone.

Cheers

Marcus

PS: Your seals+O-rings+roll pins are on the way to you via Air Mail registered. BTW, the black seal is the left one and the brown one is for the right side of the gearbox.

Thanks Marcus, good to know nothing serious with the cutting out of the engine.

With the left and right side of box I assume you mean as viewed from the rear of the car??

Cheers appreciate this :thumbup:

350.gifNo.23

Kylie,

Yes, the sides are defined by looking in forward driving direction.

For example, your drivers side is the right side ...... although its the wrong one ! Hihihi ...

Cheers

Marcus

With the left and right side of box I assume you mean as viewed from the rear of the car??

Cheers appreciate this :sofa:

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

Sounds electrical to me Kylie. It could be a wire or socket open-circuiting as you go around the corner (g-forces etc).

Run the car and check the electrical cables (slight pull) and see if you can kill it. The good news is that if it is electrical - it will eventually die completely, the bad news is it could burn too - eeeep! :sofa:

Iain

Marcus, have you ever experienced problems with this (g-fore?, crash related?) "panic-button" in our cars ?

how sensible is those 'inertia switch' thing ?

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

so it can't be related to that.

Have had several "cut outs" on the LCD Easter run'07 (as an non professional i was more 'on curbs' than on track :) )

But could restart without touching the switch...

[ PS. It's already something strange with the Lotus Engine management system, as i have told you one time. I have the "rough road wiring" but no rough road switch. And engine runs perfect without it :P ]

If it's a injected car check the inertia switch. They have a little steel ball inside. A magnet holds the ball in a funnel completing contact to the fuel pump relay. The magnets become weak with time and the connection can become intermittent or fail entirely. Generally they'll start to cut out in corners or when going over irregular surfaces. Given the car restarted just fine once stopped sounds typical.

Sounds electrical to me Kylie. It could be a wire or socket open-circuiting as you go around the corner (g-forces etc).

Run the car and check the electrical cables (slight pull) and see if you can kill it. The good news is that if it is electrical - it will eventually die completely, the bad news is it could burn too - eeeep! :P

Iain

Cripes hope not. Will keep an eye on it and check this out.

If it's a injected car check the inertia switch. They have a little steel ball inside. A magnet holds the ball in a funnel completing contact to the fuel pump relay. The magnets become weak with time and the connection can become intermittent or fail entirely. Generally they'll start to cut out in corners or when going over irregular surfaces. Given the car restarted just fine once stopped sounds typical.

Thanks and good point never thought of that.

I got my manual on Saturday so will look that part up to see how it works.

350.gifNo.23

Mine used to do a similar thing - spirited drive down a road and then upon slowing down it would die. Replaced the IAC and everything sorted.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

G
Edited by G