free hit
counters
1980 project car for sale ($5500) - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
carolina

1980 project car for sale ($5500)

Hey guys,

While looking for a nice S4 I came across this listing and thought someone here might love it.

Rick

lotus esprit - $5500

Reply to: [email protected]

Date: 2008-02-26, 6:54PM EST

1980 lotus esprit, body is in great shape intreior is in good shape

motor not in car has all alum v8 great project looks awlsome 5,500 obo

Mike 302-420-4212

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I spoke with the owner yesterday and am awaiting some pics.

The details, I know, are as follows:

~early 60's buick 215 v8, cracked - has spare engine

~PO let it sit for 3 years

~the PO of the PO was a pilot of Piper Cubs (hence the engine)

~red ext. with white pinstipes (2) and a wing

~grey int.

~louvers on rear hatch - water on engine (cracked)

~68,000 miles

Very interesting the idea of the buick 215 v8...

~red ext. with white pinstipes (2) and a wing

~grey int.

~louvers on rear hatch - water on engine (cracked)

The louvers would indicate that it's a very early Turbo body? Be interested to see the type of wing on it...

Here's the pics I just got from Mike.... More to follow tomorrow:

post-3007-1204327848.jpg

post-3007-1204327858.jpg

post-3007-1204327866.jpg

post-3007-1204327875.jpg

Edited by Mark T-C

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

FOR ANYONE WHO EVER QUESTIONED THE ORIGINAL FRONT TIRE SIZE OF AN S1 or S2, PLEASE NOTE THE ORIGINAL DUNLOP ON THE WOLFRACE WHEEL ABOVE IS CLEARLY LABELED 205/60VR14, as stated in the OWNER'S MANUAL, and NOT 195/BLAH BLAH BLAH. :D:sofa::ice:

By the way, I'll bet that car is an S1. An Oxford Blue one, nonetheless.

Looks like a single headlight motor, and the appropriate front lid and hinges for one. Not to mention the Wolfrace spare.

Three relays on the cowl means later S1 . . .

I'll put that car as between 77060307H and 77090436H. Someone ask him the VIN and see if I'm right. :sofa: lol

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Tony,

If it's an S1...what about the air intake 'ears'?

But if it was a Lagoon Blue S1 - man, that would be a crack up!

Mark,

Thanks for posting the pics, you beat me to it!

Timothy

Ears added like everything else.

One more detail: Looks like paint peeling off of the black frame around the rear quarter window. S1s and early S2s had metal window frames like the doors; late S2s and onward had plastic frames around the rear quarter windows. :sofa::sofa:

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Can someone who has been in contact with the seller ask him for the complete VIN?

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Wow, what a shame; a riced-out S1. Is there no justice in this world?

Perhaps it is a prop from the failed filming of the Bond movie "live and let fly" :smiling:

By the way, I'll bet that car is an S1.

Wow, the thought didn't cross my mind at all until you pointed it out! Now I can see it...

The Wolfrace spare up front is pretty damning evidence, plus those are not actual Turbo Esprit louvers (way too many slats) and it has a non-locking gas filler cap. And the '1980' year could be the year first registered, not the actual vehicle's MY.

Still, changing the bumpers, lower sills, taillights/rear lip, and adding ears seems like a lot of work. Can't imagine he saved much money finding those parts in the US and installing them rather than buying a real Turbo.

Whatever model it is, I feel sorry for it :)

Edited by Clark

Still... It wouldn't take too much effort and perhaps not too much $$$ ( doing the work yourself ) to put this car into great shape. Maybe not stock shape but you could make this car a head turner.

Did I miss where the car is located? I might be interested afterall...

The S3 wasn't originally sold in the States. Consequently a lot of S1 owners added S3 body bits to their cars to make them look like the latest model. Not the first time I've seen this sort of thing.

The wing and engine? Now that's something very different!

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Guest bharper

well it is not 307h, I bought that one new in 1977, and know where it is now (in NC), was oxford blue, but now is flame orange imron....(now black leather interior, stainless headers, dellorto's, imron frame and suspension pieces - was done first class)... current owner also has a 2007 atomic orange z06.

I currently own 278h, and about mid way through getting it roadworthy... engine and tranny still on the ground. someone put ears on it, the same rear louvered lid, the lower turbo side rails... has bbs 15x7 on the front, with 16x8 on the back (real 3 piece with magnesium centers)... biggest fooked up move is a newer front spoiler that needs work that was glassed into the body on the sides...err... dreded po syndrome. since car already modded, doing some little things with the engine, which is original. Went red on the valve covers then milled the tops, rubber gaskets, stainless screws. Euro manifold with a pair of 45dcoe webers. blocked off air injection tubes in the head with the proper bsw set screws/plugs. going to a 43d mechanical only distributor from a 85 euro turbo motor I have. msd 6a ignition with msd coil. custom plexiglass covers for the k&n air cleaners on the webers so can see the stacks. 110 degree round tooth pulleys with gates hdt belt, with the center of the pulleys painted red. steel instead of cast flywheel and clutch from a '84 turbo, one inch larger on the clutch disk. new rear lower link bushings, new rear wheel bearings, new hardy-spicer u joints, rear koni's rebuilt to new by a koni race shop. half shafts painted gold, with inner yoke and axle yoke painted black. black lower radius arms with axle hubs painted gold. car is black, with the bbs wheels being gold centers/aluminum polished. might be a little over the top, but should look better than rust and oil, grit and grim that it was. sure want to get it on the road this summer!

on the above project car thread, that certainly is not a s1 rear tail/spoiler, nor the rear light mounting... that looks more like a turbo.

Brian in West Virginia....