free hit
counters
Any new news on the new Lotus - Page 5 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Any new news on the new Lotus

Toua

Right, this could be a VERY bad move on my part (leading to inability to pay my mortgage) BUT............

The test mules at Lotus ARE NOT running Lexus/Toyota, AMG/Merc, Honda Engines.!!!!!! And unless a fundamental change to the present design is made it is going to stay that way !!! Work is a little too far advanced to be changing the whole engine package now, without costing HUGE amounts of cash, but hey, this is Lotus and it may be likely that might happen!!!! and if it does I take all this back as I will be as surprised as you guys!!

On other points.......

I thought this forum was about Lotus' not communism !!

The car has NO pop-up headlamps. FULLSTOP !!!!.Absolutely no-way, not ever.NO

The orange rendering, above, is errrrr, interesting and i seem to recognise bits of it.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right, this could be a VERY bad move on my part (leading to inability to pay my mortgage) BUT............

The test mules at Lotus ARE NOT running Lexus/Toyota, AMG/Merc, Honda Engines.!!!!!! And unless a fundamental change to the present design is made it is going to stay that way !!! Work is a little too far advanced to be changing the whole engine package now, without costing HUGE amounts of cash, but hey, this is Lotus and it may be likely that might happen!!!! and if it does I take all this back as I will be as surprised as you guys!!

On other points.......

I thought this forum was about Lotus' not communism !!

The car has NO pop-up headlamps. FULLSTOP !!!!.Absolutely no-way, not ever.NO

The orange rendering, above, is errrrr, interesting and i seem to recognise bits of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Orange pic is the "artists impression" that autocar did some time back.

Engine: so, by a process of elimination (based on all the rumours around) its quite likely to be BMW engine then??

Neuron, when are Lotus planning on formally unveiling the Orange, Audi powered Esprit :D

Dont worry about your job, you will have lots of time to post on this forum when you are unemployed! :):(

13144.jpg

Has Lotus phoned Giugiaro for design help yet? :(:)

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

........lexus v8 engine B) ......or ..v8 bmw :( ???

looks good :( a little bit bigger .....but very different :) .......2007 is not far :D !

"Aut tace aut loquere meliora silentio" Salvator Rosa when 25 years old National Gallery London

Audi or Bim seem the most likely in that case I guess? Since we've been told the existing Lotus lump is off the table :D

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

WOW...  I didn't know it was 7.0 liters.  That's CRAZY!!  Isn't the viper's 10 cyl motor 7.0 liters?  Or is it 8.0?  Gotta love America's motor philosophy..  To make it faster make it bigger!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

american philosphy sucks ass..! make a big engine whith huge liters to suck up gas with little effecientcy! example: 1.8L honda integra Type R = 198hp ; 7.0L v8 500hp. liters to horspower comparison, honda is more effecient then corvette. Another example V12 6.0 Diablo VT compared to 7.0L v8 corvette again!..

american philosphy sucks! sucks all the gas money!

decadent engines are okay. america needs to be known for something, other than fake breasts. and i probably need to repeat the obvious: there is no real shortage of fossil fuels.

Is anyone taking bets on that engine issue? If so, I'd like to put my cash on the Audi V8 twin turbo. For the record, I have no inside info on the matter. And I assume Lotus marketing realise the new Esprit MUST have turbos stuck to it.

The Audi engine is readily available in twin turbo form. And, (much like with Lotus!) I don't think late model BMW M engines are durable enough for any real boost, although their older stuff was rather good. A turbo version of M power is hardly a cheap off the shelf solution.

Audi it is, me thinks.

I could also suggest another dark horse if you like. Ford has a sturdy V8, Swedish car maker Koenigsegg has one in production supercharged to 800 horses, that's the worlds fastest production car. But the Audi is powerful enough for the Esprit and likely cheaper as it is an off the shelf item.

Finally I could point out that a V6 twin turbo is the best configuration that there is if one is to design a mid-engined sportscar. The gas exchange process is just so much better than on a V8. Jaguar XJ220 engines, anyone? Renault F1 turbo? No, the market would see that as a step back from the Lotus V8; popular belief is that more cylinders is always better.

Jens

15407iq.jpgProud member of The Fearless Red Squadron

Better living through turbocharging!

Well.... If by Fossil Fuel you mean a Charlton Heston view of the future then yes, I'd agree with you... ;)

0792840909.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

that is the ugliest lotus car to date. the side window proportions are neither appealing or functional. the side vent looks weak and wobbly. this release will definitely devalue the lotus marque.

that is the ugliest lotus car to date.  the side window proportions are neither appealing or functional.  the side vent looks weak and wobbly.  this release will definitely devalue the lotus marque.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't panic.. those pics are just an artists impression (autocar magazine). I actually wrote to autocar when those pics were published - they admitted they were a photo-shopped gallardo.. in fact if you look at the back of the car, the remains of the lambo badge are still visible.

then i'd like to hear lotus disowning the image.  as they are not complaining, it must be similar to their plans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What..? So, every time someone draws a picture and says "i think the new esprit will look like this" you expect a press anouncement from hethel saying "actually its not like that at all"...?

:o

I don't think the front view is so bad...

I'm not overly keen on the front airdam - Makes me think of a cross between an Elise and a Peugeot! :o

Other than that, besides the obviously cribbed from a Gallardo feel of the rest of it, it's not a bad looking picture.

OMFG :o

HOW MANY TIMES ARE WE GOING TO SAY THIS?!?!?!

The EU has BANNED Pop-up headlights - YEARS AGO...

They will never be seen again on a road car unless that legisaltion changes.

Read - Absorb - Inwardly Digest.

Let it end here.

Chatting to a dealer today, he said (thinks) the new engine will be from Audi, a twin turbo V8, as they have recently bought into Proton in a big way. He was shown the clay mockup and it has hints of the last of the line Esprits in the design.

Sounds promising

Dom

Why can't we have pop up lights Mr Fish, whats with the whole legislation thing??

I agree Toua, pop up lights should be a feature on the new Esprit, can't see lotus making it without them, it just wouldn't be the same and i'm sure Lotus understands this. They will do what the customer wants surely??

Chunky Lover