free hit
counters
Any new news on the new Lotus - Page 7 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Any new news on the new Lotus

Toua

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i live and die by the sword, and if i had done it, i would freely admit it. closest story i have is a 7 year old girl who innocently walked up to me at her parent's dinner party, and asked me if i wanted to see her new underwear. the room went silent, and jaws dropped in cartoon fashion.

When you have an 18-year old daughter, very young women lose their appeal. But one advantage of getting older is that the age range of fanciable women gets greater. Of course, the age range of women you are likely to succeed with does not.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I dont have problem with well designed flush lights - but I SO do see the cool factor of properly concealed lights!

They could get the same look by simply having light covers that slide out of the way.

No one has odne that yet!

One of the weird old American yank tanks had odd rolling lights - a Lincoln or something?

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

they didn't roll exactly. they were just pivoted on a different axis. some of the porsches had lights that popped up with the pivot line forward of the light. they didn't conceal. the lamp was flush in the down position. all of these are still basically popping up in place. i guess you could have a light pod exit a tunnel somewhere on the bonnet, and travel along a track, like thomas the tank engine. fun for ages five and up.

Edited by teigan

They could get the same look by simply having light covers that slide out of the way.

No one has odne that yet!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think thats what the XJ220 did. But the ugly prize goes to the Opel GT, with light pods that rotated about longitudinal axis.

post-916-1130008886.jpg

Jens

15407iq.jpgProud member of The Fearless Red Squadron

Better living through turbocharging!

Hows LCD technology comming along? can they make body coloured headlamp

covers that turn clear at the flick of a switch? that would be cool...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, a company I do some work for Decoma Autosystems have the technology to do this :P

They make the lighting for the Aston Martin DB9 and the new DB8 B)

Havent heard whos going to use the body coloured lamps(yet) :(

SUNP0003-1.jpg

yes it can be done. they even have flexible lcd panels that can wrap around a one axis curve. the latest is liquid crystal ink that can be printed onto any insulating surface like paper. you could make a windscreen with any shape lcd elements under low voltage control. still needs to be backlit though, and contrast is always a problem in daylight.

Chatting to a dealer today, he said (thinks) the new engine will be from Audi, a twin turbo V8, as they have recently bought into Proton in a big way. He was shown the clay mockup and it has hints of the last of the line Esprits in the design.

Sounds promising

Dom

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know this is outstandingly rude of me to talk about the original thread and all that......but....... :P

We asked a 100 Lotus engineers if the new esprit engine was going to be from Audi and they said......... NUH-NURRR XXXX. Oh and the big rumour is that the Audi tie-up has gone a bit cold at the moment and may be dead in the water !!

So that'll be that one scotched then !! Anyone else for a game of "Lets tick off the manufacturers that are NOT supplying the new Esprit engine"............

Quote "He was shown the clay mockup and it has hints of the last of the line Esprits in the design."

Well he must have seen a different clay mock up to the real one then !!!!! :(

Sorry if this is a bit of a late reply but I've not been around for a while.

SO that puts BMW back to the top of the pile really doesn't it?

Wonder if it will be one of the 18,000 per year, 'handmade' AMG ones?! :P

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

SO that puts BMW back to the top of the pile really doesn't it?

Wonder if it will be one of the 18,000 per year, 'handmade' AMG ones?! <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Err, AMG tweak Mercedes engines. Are you thinking of M-Sport or Schnitzer?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Guest Troy Halliday

Ok lets face it people we are die hard lotus fans. To own cars like we do that are not as reliable as they could be, have built in flaws and do not have the same cache as other supercars, we have to be. In this day and age where car manufacturers are all in bed with each other and parts being sourced from some massive great bin (well you have all heard of the parts bin. so it must be bloody huge) what difference does it make where it comes from.

I personaly would like to see them make a beautiful looking machine that handles like no other (as only lotus can do) married together with a strong powerful engine and for a change a strong gearbox. Something that makes people stand up and take lotus seriously.

We want those snobby porsche owners to rethink their choices and make our marque what it should always have been. It is people's perception that makes a car a supercar, not it's specs. Porsche made it's name from the raw untamed 911 which is now, all be it a fast car, a pussy cat to drive. Ferraris were not too different to our own kit-based car, stealing their parts from Fiat and Alfa but you will never hear people putting them down because of that. Someone mentioned the Dino... I drove one of those last week - it was in a friends work shop for a couple of months having an engine rebuild and a few other bits done to it. I can tell you that it definately has quite a few Fiat parts and it's construction is not all that. Ferrari themselves did not consider it good enough to put the prancing pony on it and call it a real Ferrrari. But the fans made it a classic.

We sell our cars short and as such the price is reflected in that.

Anyway, I have had my rant. I'm off to get my little beauty finished <_<

Agree with everything you said Troy. But in a way I like Lotus' obscure nicheness. In many ways I wouldn't like to see Lotus become the next Porsche or Ferrari. I like the fact that they're a limited production company and the fact that you don't see too many of their supercars around. Having said that there are elises everywhere, almost as common as boxters in some places. Perhaps if they just sorted out their reliability a bit we'd be there. :mellow:

RE: BMW side-topic.

I thought BMW made two sorts of engines: BMW standard ones and M-Power elite versions.

AMG is the OFFICIAL racing spec tuner for Mercedes and AC Schnitzer is BMW'S UNOFFICIAL equivalent. The difference is AMG is Mercedes racing partner and AC Schnitzer is a totally separate thing to BMW. In order to get an AC Schnitzer you have to first buy a BMW, and then take it along to AC Schnitzer in Germany and have them play about with it. They stick on a slightly lower bumper, fiddle about with the brakes and suspension, tweak the engine, put in all the top of the range latest BMW features (if it doesn't already have them), and put on a silly badge at the back.

This is why you CAN'T buy an AC Schnitzer new from a BMW dealer and why you CAN buy an AMG from a Merc dealer. <_<

EspritMiltonKeynes - ironically now lives in Edinburgh London (SE4)

So... Getting back to the original topic's question after 12 pages of conjecture, speculation and opinion, the resounding answer, (as I thought at the time) is

NO!

...of bloody course not - if there was we would all have been talking and shouting about it already! <_<

So... Getting back to the original topic's question after 12 pages of conjecture, speculation and opinion, the resounding answer, (as I thought at the time) is

NO!

...of bloody course not - if there was we would all have been talking and shouting about it already! :mellow:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Final answer ? <_<

Simplest things first.

What will be exciting and new abou the new lotus is bringing the technology, including in the cain up to date, as especially on my S4 and earlier models, its VERY simple, as it was designed to be

Maybe new Esprit will being to include new tech such as HUD (heads up display) !! ??

Or Carbon Fibre underdash liners

Or LCD screen/gear indicators instead of clocks

360 degree bumpers

Just messin with ya Teigan :D I'll have fun with all that if your car ever winds up spending time with me

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

We want those snobby porsche owners to rethink their choices and make our marque what it should always have been. It is people's perception that makes a car a supercar, not it's specs. Porsche made it's name from the raw untamed 911 which is now, all be it a fast car, a pussy cat to drive. Ferraris were not too different to our own kit-based car, stealing their parts from Fiat and Alfa but you will never hear people putting them down because of that. Someone mentioned the Dino... I drove one of those last week - it was in a friends work shop for a couple of months having an engine rebuild and a few other bits done to it. I can tell you that it definately has quite a few Fiat parts and it's construction is not all that. Ferrari themselves did not consider it good enough to put the prancing pony on it and call it a real Ferrrari. But the fans made it a classic.

Anyway, I have had my rant. I'm off to get my little beauty finished :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Troy, as I have mentioned the Dino a few times you must be refering to me.

I am fortunate enough to have a good friend and customer that owns a 246 GTS Dino, bought for a sizable ammount of money on my recommendation.

It was the first rear engined road car made by Ferrari

It was called Dino by Enzo Ferrari as a tribute to his beloved dead son , Dino(as were the world championship winning 6 cyl. grand prix cars.

They were marketed as a "junior Ferrari"

The one you drove must have been a poor example as the one I look after is a lovely and exciting car to drive.

If I was weathy enough I would love to own one.

Its beautiful Pininfarina styling and well engineered drivetrain are the reason it is so desirable and valuble today :D

dino_w.jpg

SUNP0003-1.jpg