free hit
counters
It's funny how the missus always looks the bleedin' same - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Coleman

It's funny how the missus always looks the bleedin' same

Do you remember that song by Squeeze with the lyrics "It's funny how the missus always looks the bleedin' same" well that's how I feel about the bodywork of my car. If you don't remember it then I'll just feel old by myself :thumbup: I have put hours and hours into grinding and repairing star cracks. In fact I've been doing it for months now and the bloody thing doesn't seem to look any different? Perhaps it's just me!!

The previous owner fitted a V8 to my car which twisted the chassis and in the process he hacked great lumps out of the bodywork around the engine bay. Fortunately for me he kept most of the bits but I did have to make some new sections and transplant them in. This is what it looked like around the engine bay when I got it - big chuncks of white fibreglass missing (these photos are taken from where the engine would normally be sitting)...

You are not normally meant to be able to see the engine through the firewall from inside the car (otherwise it isn't much of a firewall)...

I managed to use all the bits that he kept and manufactured new bits which were missing (using existing bits to take a pattern off)...

I had to fill in 3 yes 3 aerial holes (why the hell would you have 3 aerials? Was it used as a taxi hahaha). Anyway, after many hours it now looks like...

I replaced the firewall and gave it a slap of etch primer to seal it. At some point I'll probably paint the whole inside to cover up the smell of damp left over from rotting carpets...

The shell now looks like this...

So that bit is now ready to prime which I will do when the weather warms up a bit (like 15 degrees).

It's now time to look at the doors, bumper, front blade etc... but I don't think they will require anywhere near as much labour - famous last words!! I must be a glutton for punishment hahahaha

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Looking good. That's a lot of work, but should be well worth it.

What ever sort of V8 would twist the chassis? I know the original chassis was only designed to have the 160 HP, but they didn't / couldn't exactly do too much to it in order to handle an extra 190 BHP (not unless they re-designed the whole car).

Andy

looks great, you have done a good job, Have you thought about using Lizard skin liquid ceramic to coat the car cabin? it is a sound and heat proof system that sprays on. Used a lot on hot rods. If I ever rebuild my 110 I'll use it.

http://www.lizardskin.com/

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I've been there mate!

Best advice I can give is to take a load of pics to look back on. Set yourself main stage targets. When you reach any of the targets sit back and congratulate yourself on the work you have done. If you always look towards the end of the build it will seem impossible to reach.

Little victories is how wars are won.

You doing a cracking job keep it up.

I do remember the song Paul. It's on their greatest hits which I play quite regularly. What............ :thumbup:

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Paul, when your S1 is finished, it will be one of the 'great' restorations among all of the S1s being restored. It will be done to as high a standard as any, I'm sure, and you will have started with a basket case, not a good runner. You are a great asset to the preservation of these cars. :sofa:

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Thanks all for the kind words and encouragement :sofa:

Onwards and ever upwards!!

Paul.

Great job Paul. I only did a cosmetic resto on my car this time around. Money wasn't there to go the route you are going. Stay focused and you will get through it. It'll be a keeper for sure!

Looks like its coming on well, could do with some bigger rims though :angry:

That's the fastest it's been in 15 years!!

paul.