free hit
counters
Burning hoze smell - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi all,as we've had a bit of nice weather recently means I've had the roof and windows open whilst driving around.The other day I came off at a slip road and planted the throttle in 3rd,I could smell a hot hose type smell coming into the cabin(it's the type of wiff you get when a rad hose has boiled dry)it only does it at wot with the roof or a window open,once you pull up the smell has virtually gone.The car drives normal with no other problems,I have checked all levels and cannot find anything amiss,anyone had a similar problem or know where I should start to look?

cheers dave

Dave Hopwood

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

any lose bits and cables/isolation's ? For example o2-sensor cables on(or near to) the hot exhaust , instead of fixed in the gearbox crossbar.

What is if your car runs hot on idling ,and you stand next to it an open the tailgate. No smell? Or only if the car (a tire) is moving?

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

only for you Marcus, only for you !

:thumbup:

Edited by G

Hi Gunter,

I have looked for things like loose cables pipes ect all seem ok.

You can lift the tailgate with the car at full operating temp but there is no trace of the smell, nither is it there when you drive round normally with the windows open it only appears with full throttle and dissapears as soon as you back off.My guess is that it must be something to do with the turbos/air ducting or plenum in some way.Possibly it is to do with the turbo heatshields people have discussed on here many times ,although nothing is rattaling to suggest the problem may be here.

cheers dave

Dave Hopwood

exhaust manifold heat-shields are made of steel, chassis heat-shields are made of aluminium foil coated resin -so there is no real plastic rubber piece in the range ...

we (Marcus and i) have discussed last -the point of this rubber hose in clutch line over left exhaust pipe. So what is if you run with high power output an the exhaust starts to "turn red" ?!

The turbo cooling lines are steel braided types, so there should be nothing related ... .

Its a mystery, have you contacted Marcus?!