free hit
counters
What's the deal with lining up window frames? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Glyn Harper

What's the deal with lining up window frames?

Just fitting the window frames back into my doors.. (S4 doors).. No problems at all with the drivers side. Fits in lovely, electric windows power up and down smoothly.

But the passenger side......!!!!

Got the frame in, got the window in, but when the window winds down half way it starts to really really struggle and then finally stop as the window motor cut-out kicks in.

I know it's just down to allignment with the 5 bolts that you have to meddle with. Is there a surefire way or process of trying to line these things up so that:-

1. The frame sits nicely in the door apperture.

2. The frame won't allow water to leak in when it rains.

3. The electric windows will work properly.

So far it seems you can pick any two of the above.. but not all three!

The answer probably lies with some little old man at the factory who used to fit these every day..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Tried the old silicone spoyra in the weather seals ?

Mine would stall as well - spent a week or so trying to sort it until I gave up. Wetted the seal with silicone and woosh !!!

Up and down like........well you know....

facebook = [email protected]

Paul, I'm starting to agree with you.

I have always had this problem with the left window..

With my old standard '88 doors, the passenger window was always slow.

Now I'm using a totally different door that is only about 2 years old, complete with new style window motor and it's the same!

The frames can't be causing it as they are that floppy off the car, they will move to any suitable position once you start lining up.

If you undo all the nuts so the frame is free, then the back edge of the frame close to the back of the car kicks out about an inch further than it should! So there is some wacky allignment issue going on at the front somewhere.

I'm off into the garage now to spend yet more time trying to work it out..

Jonathan, It's a good call about the spray. It's not going to cure this particular problem, but when I've got it sorted i'll put some on anyway as it won't do any harm.

When I did mine I slackened all the bolts and let the window push the frame when UP thenadjusted it - I think the windows tend to run out of pufff near the end of their travel to the top so I let it have the least resistance there.

You wouldn't believe the friction the window felt was causing !

facebook = [email protected]

when i was working on the final body adjust line at toyota, the door frames were belted with rubber mallets to ensure a good fit, as well as manually bending them bonnets boot lids etc, adjusting the striker locks, its the one process that they never show anyobody on a trip there, very skillful job and done at a speed you would not believe. if you try it be careful seen a few windscreens smashed because people have slipped

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Managed it! Eventually!!

I had to use a longer bolt at the back runner, and then it all sort of came together.

Also, I had to physically pull the rear part of the frame before locking up the bolt, as it was squashing the window as it went down.. sort of.

Must be one of the most annoying jobs on an Esprit!