free hit
counters
Boyd Coddington died - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Boyd Coddington died

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad loss to lots of people.

The shows with him were "great television", due to him having some fairly fixed ideas, like you don't phone in sick you go, no matter how good you are. I guess he wass like somebody I once worked for, great if you're in his good books, if you get into his bad books you may as well leave there and then, so at least you knew where you stood with him.

ps. Anybody know the history between him and Chip Foose, used to be buddies then moved to enemies

Andy

Edited by andydclements

boyd wasnt anything like the "american hotrod" shows portrayed him, the show writers wanted more crap added to spice things up a bit, try to make boyd argue etc with the workers, thats why he didnt want to do anything after the second series.

as for him and chip foose, boyd went bankrupt early 90's if i remember rightly and foose became a partner and they managed to sort things out but foose crapped on him then went seperate ways after that. it was a really bad thing for boyd to have had to go through thats why hes never forgiven foose. i do have the details about it in one of his books here somewhere or one of his interviews i will dig it out for you.

i religously followed the american hotrod shows since they started and i still ove wathing the re-runs every time they are on, the man was a consumate professional and a stickler or attention and detail, i have to be honest i try to model my attention to detail from him and foose, to be honest i have learned quite a few things by watching the shows and having tried them myself found i could do them with a little practice.

its their fault i spend so much time cleaning all the car bits up to make them shiny!

Its been a sad time for us, as many people know my Simon is a passionate hot rodder and bought loads of the stuff from Boyds factory direct. Simon bought the whole series of his shows and made me watch every single one of them with him. We also know alot about the dramas behind the scenes and how the show is def NOT representavie of who these people really are.

RIP Boyd we will miss you. :crybaby:

350.gifNo.23

Glad that he wasn't like the shows... I had absolutely no respect for him whatsoever untill I read this thread... now I can join you in saying RIP.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

A sad loss and far to young to go.

I di enjoy the show although I still prefer Foose over Boyd designs. I always take these kind of shows on face value and ignore the entertainment side of it. I just sit back and watch all the technical marvels these guys manage. I don't watch TV much at all but when I do it is American Hotrod, American Chopper, Souther Chopper, and Overhaulin.

Very much agree with Troy and Otis..the TV shows portrayed Boyd in a very poor light; glad to hear the man was very different. I find the shows detailed by Troy to be addictive..these guys are artists in metal..make me want to go buy an English wheel!! Only wish they's be a bit more mechanically creative, not just bodywork etc., all those choppers with that phenomenally ugly rubber band primary drive...do like Russell's stuff, matt black and stripped bare; his trike with the F1 Goodyear tyres was phenomenal. Also watch "Build it or Bust"..you'd think some of the contestants would do some basic learning and research first! One of the great things about the digital TV revolution is the availability of these sort of programmes...gives us sad petrolheads something to watch...Coronation Street - YUK!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

on some of the boyd forums , there is a lot of chat about how friendly boyd and co actually were, one person told how they went in by an off chance of being in the area, spoke with diane boyds former wife, and asked her if it was ok to have a look around, with that she took them to meet boyd , a tour of the complete shop and floors, met all the guys there and had a great day there and were invited for a meal.

they said that boyd was very open about everything, had time for everyone who took the time to call in to the shop and loved talking cars with anyone who showed an interest.

when you see the car shows end credits you will always see "script writer" thats becuase the shows are scripted.

also heres a little insight into mr foose, there are some rare clips floating around of clip doing his nut on the scenes of overhaulin, it would seem the ever so nice guy can be a right "git" to people when he wants to be the guys who left boyd to work for him soon found out, harlie painted his riddler winner and a car in overhaulin, now he is nothing to do with foose, same for scott, bluebear et.. mike curtis the wheel guy now works with mht wheels a high end custom wheel maker over there and is doing well.

i heard charlie is now freelance and does high end paint jobs to order.

Thanks for the insight, Simon...by the way, just love the trampolining elephant!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

That was a big a loss :)

I have always admired Boyd's creations.

Boyd had been at least twice here in Finland (Tampere car-show), those times were most memorables to me in Tampere-show :)

RIP Boyd

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+