free hit
counters
Cam belt - is there a patent alternative - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
simonf

Cam belt - is there a patent alternative

I would love to take up Ralphs offer of a longlife cam belt, but unfortunately i have the less desirable rounded tooth belt! Unless someone has the corresponding square tooth pulleys they would like to sell me, i am going to have to purchase a rounded tooth belt - however i am not going to pay

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Simon, yours should be the trapezoidal tooth not round tooth, so yours has a direct equivalent, I'll have a look for the equivalent Gates number, you can get one at Rapid parts (or 'll get you one with the trade discount).

Andy

So if mine is trapizoidal, does that meen i can fit Ralphs lovelly new belt? If not then my request for the corresponding pulley's remains!

PS Andy - Buddsy and me are going to start work on my engine removal next saturday, i am getting the beers in and if you feel up to it, you are more than welcome to help/drink beer and shout orders!

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Ralph's belt is for the round toothed pulleys, so if you want to fit a later development belt (either Ralph's which isn't available yet, or the later Lotus one) you need the 2 cam pulleys, the dissy drive pulley and the main crank pulley from an HC engine (or later), and then the corresponding (currently Lotus only) belt.

Mike at Lotusbits may be able to help. If you go that route might I suggest later cam carriers, they have less issues with oil leaks , although you can cure the earlier ones of oil leaks by the use of cork gaskets and impact adhesive.

Happy to give a hand with the engine removal, I'm just in for a break from doing the brakes on the S3.

Andy

Good lad -you know it makes sence, do you want me to pick you up saturday so that you don't have to worry about how many beers you have had through out the day - i will get the wife to drop you off so that i don't have to worry about how many beers i have had through out the day!

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

hi simon, well for something as serious as the cam belt i for one wouldnt worry about paying twice that amount if i knew it was a tried and tested andcorret belt for my lotus, it just makes common sense as its one of the most important parts on the car!.