free hit
counters
GT3 Central Locking Problem and Fix - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

GT3 Central Locking Problem and Fix

Hello all, I've done a search but couldn't find a similar topic so thought it might be useful to post this:

For a few months I've been having intermittent problems with the central locking on my '97 GT3. Occasionally, all would be fine, but more usually only the driver's side door would unlock. Since my recut key won't unlock the passenger side, this was a bit annoying as I had to lean across to manually unlock the passenger door. Then, if I didn't manually lock it again, when I tried to lock the drivers door with the key, the central locking would just unlock straight away.

So, took off the door panels, found the solenoids, cleaned the connectors (incidentally, there is a very handy large grommet in the bottom of the door that allows access to the connector plugs) and still no joy. Having enlisted the help of a willing assistant to lock and unlock the drivers side (whlist I stuck my head in the Lotus position in the footwell), I managed to find the central locking control unit, which is under the carpet on the passenger footwell. Incidentally, this is marked "GM KIEKERT 90 457 682" and appears to be off a SAAB 900. In my case, the connector pins were quite corroded, a quick clean later and all works as it should. Result!

Hope this helps someone who may be having the same trouble - it's pretty quick to check at least.

Tim B

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The position in the footwell looks a bit "variable" ie mine wasn't actually attached to anything! It's up on the front bulkhead, peel back the carpet, there should be some reflective foil and mine was near the top of the footwell, in a sort of recess, but only really held there by the carpet.

Tim B