free hit
counters
Oil Leak - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Blanchard

Oil Leak

Noticed a burning oil smell recently. There's oil weeping from the Cam Cover Gasket and is dropping onto the manifold. There's about a teaspoon full close by the carbs too. It hasn't lost much oil, the oil level's just below H on the dip stick.

Would there be any detrimental effects in still driving the Esprit, till I get it serviced in about 2 months or is it something that should get sorted now?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had the same problem way back when. As far as I know there's no real issues other than seeing small atomic clouds eminate from the rear engine vents at stop lights. May scare the person in the car behind you.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

yeah, no real detriment unless you push big boost(trust me on this one) some oil will get on the exhaust manifold and could cause a fire if it's enough falling on the manifold. You could easily put new gaskets on yourself, they are very simple to do, heck I keep 4 spare gaskets in my tool box and replace them everytime I pull the cam covers off for inspection/valve clearancing/etc.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Hi i had the same problem back in 2005 and now again.

I 'd been told then, that there is no gasket there and it needs only gasket glue instead (green arrows )

minos

post-192-1208451433.jpg

post-192-1208451502.jpg

Edited by mm7770

I've just fitted new ones to mine, the only prob was who ever did it before used nasty gue so I had to clean both serfaces. Put the new ones in, they locate on small dowels, no goo, no leaks. Not even too bad to get to.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I had the same problem on the inlet side of my engine, oil everywhere, all I did was tighten down the cam cover and gunk the oil off problem solved

I'm having the same issue...just to be clear, there is a cam cover to housing gasket, but there is no gasket between the cam housing and the head, just gasket goop?

I'm pretty sure my leak is just the cam cover gasket. I put some liquid on the spot that looks to be the leak at the rear end of the cam cover. The fluid nearly perfectly traced its way down the cover, and heat shield, onto the manifold, and onto the floor in the exact same spot as the oil.

I just did mine as well - the gaskets are just a couple of $$ - so I did them as well as my cam end seals.

good time to re-paint the covers....

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Could you tell me a little more about the cam end seals? I have the service parts book, but not the repair manual...just wondering if I should do them all at once.

Thanks!

Does anybody have a guesstimate on how long the O-rings take to replace? I just recieved them today, but I don't get off work until 5:00 and there is a Lotus meet tomorrow morning...can I get it done in an evening assuming I'm "relatively" mechanically skilled?

it took me 2 hours - I didn't have to fit with any rusted nuts/bolts. All you are really doing is taking off a couple of heat shields to get to them.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Turned out to be the cam end seals (O-rings). The cam cover gasket was NOT leaking, but I only realized this after I pried off the cam cover and spent an hour carefully scraping the remaining gasket off the head and cover. The O-rings were much easier to replace than the guide on LEW said...the wheel didn't need to come off and the heat shield was very easy to remove. No more smoke from the manifold. Thanks for the help guys!

I started doing this job this weekend...some questions:

1. How do I get the cam covers off? I don't see anything holding them on. Do I need to use a screw driver and hammer and hit them off?

2. I noticed in the LEW instructions that washers holding th heat shields in place are of difference sizes/widths - of course I mixed them up...anybody remember what goes where?

Thanks,

Chandra

91SE

right - once you have all the nuts and washers off the bolts - the only thing holding the seals in place is the pressure fit of the o-ring itself. I used a large plyer and grabbed them on the edge from outside, but you could 'carefully' use a screwdriver and work it under the seal and back it out.

The washers do not matter - the idea was to provide some spacng between the various shields and engine to cut down on the heat transfer form the turbo - nothing more.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

"1. How do I get the cam covers off? I don't see anything holding them on. Do I need to use a screw driver and hammer and hit them off?"

I'm guessing you're talking about the round cam end seals...I used a tiny screw driver to get under the round piece of metal, then worked in a larger screw driver, then sort of coaxed it out by shifting one side at a time.

If you need to replace the cam cover gaskets, a Fel-pro #35261 replaces the stock Lotus gasket.

The original gasket is 2.25 inches across.

It cross references to a Buick/Olds/Pontiac 82-94 gasket.

-Chandra

91SE