free hit
counters
Esprit Aerials - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
OwenGT3

Esprit Aerials

Hi,

One problem I do have with my Esprit is the radio reception, it's basically useless. I have this short dumpy affair for an antenna which looks good, but doesn't get any stations, even FM. It's OK around the city where I live, but go on a trip then forget it, it looses all reception and you can't even tune it, so you end up with a CD on. The thing is the radio is good as I have traffic report so it's handy having that on when on a road trip.

I wonder whether to go digital, would this be any better or do I still need to improve the aerial? Anyone else experienced similar problems?

Owen

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's a bit different for me but you could look at the same solution. I have the wing-wart aerial which will eventually be deleted. In it's place will be an internal amplified antenna behind the headlining, above the interior mirror. I've heard people get very good results from them.

Kinda of like this...

http://www.ktduk.com/site/product.cfm?id=9...49F6D0882C602C4

Blaupunkt-Autofun-B.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It's a bit different for me but you could look at the same solution. I have the wing-wart aerial which will eventually be deleted. In it's place will be an internal amplified antenna behind the headlining, above the interior mirror. I've heard people get very good results from them.

Kinda of like this...

http://www.ktduk.com/site/product.cfm?id=9...49F6D0882C602C4

Blaupunkt-Autofun-B.jpg

Sounds like a similar device to fitting a booster to your TV aerial, I see there is another wire going to the unit so it looks powered. Will look into one, thanks.

Owen

Double check that the ground and power wires are hooked up...the stock one is an amplified antenna, and without proper power will not work worth a sh*t.

Yep, I'd agree. The factory one does tend to lunch it's amplifier on a regular basis. When new, it's as good as any other aerial but without the boost from the built in amplifier, it's no more than decoration.

Before I moved to Japan to play with felt tips and try and understand how automotive styling works, I spent most of my time with my beloved employer designing audio and IT systems for our European built vehicles. Aerials where always amoungst the most troublesome componant!

A few things you need to consider.

1) Keep the aerial away from electrical noise. In an Esprit, the front of the car is good, the engine makes horrible electrical noise.

2) Keep the feeder cable as short as possible, or use an active antenna (one with an amplifier in it).

3) MOST IMPORTANT Give the antenna a good ground plane/ earth. Almost impossible in a plastic car!

4) Length is good, short stubby antennas are low in gain and high in noise.

Proposed solution

Get an active be-sting type antenna with a 40cm mast (I know the Bosch-Blaupunkt ones are good from experience testing them all over Europe). Fit it behind the A-pillar trim on the RHS (away from the electronics in the dash board). Fit it as low as possible and make a very good earth using and aluminium bracket or thick cable to the steering member (cross car beam) that runs under the instrment pannel from side to side and joins to the door hinge mounting plates. This is the most substantial bit of metal in the cabin. Use the antenna power supply outlet from the backof the radio rather than the ignition feed (ACC). The radio includes filtering circuits to keep the supply clean. The ignition feed (ACC) is very dirty and will introduce more noise.

Bibs suggestion may give OK results, but the earth is going to be pretty bad. Those antennas are designed to be fixed to glass and earthed within about 15cm of the amplifier. There is no good earth up on the roof pannel and fibreglass has a different dielectric constant than glass, so the antenna elements are going to be electrically too short to give good gain on the radio frequencies you need.

I dont know what radio you use, but again, I would consider the latest Bosch Blaupunkt range. All but the cheapest in the range now feature DSP (Digiceiver) tuners that digitise the radio signal and then work all kinds of magic to cover up or minimise the effects of radio noise. I have used www.bluespot.co.uk as a supplier for years. Cheap and reliable.

Good luck

Malc

Edited by Malc Holmes

Hi Owen,

Before you try a more expensive route, I have some stubby aerials which are telescopic. So you have the best of both worlds. I have a little problem with reception on my radio even with my stock aerial then I tried this one. With the aerial down it's about the same as my stock one but fully extended I get a better signal. It may be worth a try for

Nice thing about glassfibre - it'll pass RF through it quite nicely.

I actually dont run an ariel (hate the silly look) - I took mine off and put a small cap in place (glass it over when I get a chance).

The guts are still there flapping aboot and it STILL picks up reception just as well as it used to :harhar:

Next head unit I get will be DAB, I do enjoy the radio so it's a bonus for me.

My next door neighbours Countach has an ariel built into the wind screen - since the rear heated glass NEVER gets used I wonder if that could be a possibility instead ? Just disconnect the power (and the fuse) from the heater and plub in the old ariel lead into the heater connection ?

I'm not really much of an RF expert but I always tend to go on the fact 'if it works, job done'.

What's interesting is my phone, when it's in my pocket with the huge mass of water around it (body) blocking all the RF up, still manages to get crystal radio so I dont see why a low flying ariel on the Esprit wouldn't.

facebook = [email protected]

When I used to build kit cars I was always told that the radio supression on GRP cars was awful, and even with a supresser fitted radio reception was always crap. I's no different in my Esprit now than it was in my Nova 25 years ago.