free hit
counters
oil pressure light - intemittent - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

oil pressure light - intemittent

guys yesterday when I was pulling the car into the garage I noticed the oil pressure light was going on when the car was at idle..

I checked oil.. it was full.. then I turned the car on again.. the oil pressure light was on, for about 1 minute.. then it would disappear when I started driving the car...

my mechanic suggested that as long as the light turns off over 2k rpm that it is safe for me to drive to his shop.. I cannot tell if I am hearing anything weird from the engine.. I think it sounded different but again.. I can't be sure since the car is pretty bloody loud..

anyone else have this problem? the car is in for a major service having everything sorted right now.. and he is going to look over this issue right now.

so.. the light comes on at idle, dissapears after 2k rpm.. no oil loss in the engine.. ideas? solutions?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pano,the thing about oil pressure switches as opposed to a gauge is that they don't take to much psi to extinguish the light,so in theory an engine could be running at a lower than required good oil pressure but you would'nt know about it.Either the switch is faulty or you have genuine low pressure,if it was my car I would attempt to take a proper reading with a gauge fitted in say the feed takeoff to one of the turbos using a suitable tee piece,you would then know if you have a genuine problem or a faulty switch.

cheers dave

Dave Hopwood

Pano, You should see the following oil pressures:

1.4 bar @ idle

2.4 bar at 3500rpm

3.1 bar at 6500rpm

The important thing as said above is to verify if you have a sensor problem or genuine low pressure.

When my oil pump stopped working to spec, pressure at idle was fine, it was at the higher rpm's when the pressure was low. I hope that it isn't an oil pump problem as 4 years ago it cost me

Pano was theengine hot as you pulled the car into the garage? And is your oil level really just under the *max* marking if it is cold. I've had and oil problem after an oil change in 2004 (it was new for me, not much experience with that Lotus and his Oil cooler system.)

The problem was that i added to much oil. After the oil gets hotter on an fast run the oil level was over the *max* sign. The crankshaft has blown much air in the oil and it was more like soap bubbles. With that consistence it is truly impossible to supply pressure on idle rpm range.

[edit] engine sound the same, just this pressure light was on as the car stands with idling under trafficlights/road cross.

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Pano, I have to admit, as it was a gradual deterioration in the oil pressure, I didn't notice the problem from the sound of the engine. I guess I should have noticed on start up that the pressure was low. After the rebuild it did sound better.

Regards,

Peter.

when this problem affected you guys did you nice the engine behaving or sounding different?
Edited by peter_england99
Yes the engine was warm as I was pulling it into the garage.. the car temps are normal still. The oil seems to be at the MAX level yes..

this could be caused by too much oil?

Gunter is implying that if your oil level is too high, the crank can airate the oil in the sump...... this in turn is sucked into the pick-up and can make is tricky to retain good oil pressure at idle.

I would be surprised if this is your problem, but that

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Pano, if you add to much oil ,and it heats up/changes viscosity under engine running temperatures, the crank produces a sort of "oil mist" and all is lathery covered in oil in the sump. It is normal to have oil covered parts in the engine but: -If to much hot oil spume gets surged into the oil pump feed your pressure drops down.

As i told , i have this happen in my own car as i was a fresh owner . But now i know that you can not change more than 6- 6.2L Oil with an ordinary oil change [or you have to open the oil-cooler pipes..] . And therefore you have to look that it is not to much oil added after refilling.

But if you say your oil level was normal [not on *max*, or slidely over *max*] as the engine was hot. Than i think it is something different as this simple "overfilling" :no

[edit] thanks Mike! good to have someone who understand my rubbish english grammar :harhar:

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

it was very very high, I mean it covered the entire oil dipstick...

we did add some oil and it may very well have been too much but that was a few months ago.. I however have not driven the car that much either lately.

• 2 weeks later...

The oil sits in the sump (probably what he is calling the oil pan) with some crude baffling. The oil pump has a pick-up pipe that sucks oil from the sump, through a course wire gauze for distrubution around the engine.

If the pick-up pipe gets blocked or the sump is all clogged-up then it may not be able to supply the necessary volume of oil at low revs to maintain good oil pressure. This shouldn

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica