free hit
counters
S4 onwards with the S300 front lip ? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan

S4 onwards with the S300 front lip ?

Thompson cars onwards - I have a spare one here and wondered what it wuld ultimatly look like ?

I think on certain cars (mainly SE's) it looks really neat but not sure how it would suit the more rounded bumpers ?

If anyones got one - pics would be apprecaited, PLUS is there any really safe way of painting it so it doesn't crack all over the place ?

The other way I guess is to silicon spray it so it's all shiney.

Aerodynamics were discussed as well I'm sure at the LEW meeting once, but I can't remember the do's and do-not's.

Whats the idea of the lip ? I'm guessing to prevent air flow under the car causing low pressure there ?

Will it cause issues without a wing / longer rear transom of the GT3 ?

ta for any help.

facebook = [email protected]

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have one on my stevens, I dont think you will get away with painting it, it's great that its rubber as it flexes over bumps etc. And you will scrap it on them as its so low. I just use tyre dressing on mine.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Hi Jonathan,

Yes you want the V8 one as in the picture. Fitted to the S350 then the 02 V8's,

Basically yes it is to reduce the pressure under the car and thus increase downforce. Dave has fitted one to his V8 and I want one on mine as it sits alot lower than the standard plastic lip. I don't think you would want to paint the rubber as it will hit things but as suggested some tyre shine is a good idea.

Should't be a problem with the GT3 as it has the long transom anyway and that acts as a rear spoiler.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

On my S4 would I need to remove the lip that is on there then install this one? This may be a good idea....I want to preserve the one I have and using this one will be a good substitute as it flexes...

Jason

Yes the original lip is removed and you fit the new 'hockey sticks' and the rubber.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Ah right cus I have the S300 one from the Lotus sale and SJ put one in my S300 kit I bought as well.

Thanks for the picture - my one looks a lot deeper than that (4" at least).

When i get time I'll try it on and see how it goes (might have to cut it down) - cheers for the replies.

I think the S300 rubber lip is the same as that on the S350. The S350 kit also has the body coloured fibreglass part that sits over the top of the rubber lip but the lip runs all the way up to the lower valance. That's why the S300 rubber lip looks a bit deeper since on the S350 the top inch or so is behind the fibreglass cover.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Ah right cus I have the S300 one from the Lotus sale and SJ put one in my S300 kit I bought as well.

Does that mean you have a spare Jon? If you have two deliberately - one for each car, no prob. But if you are looking to sell one, I'm probably interested.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Well I didn't know SJ would send me one in the kit - it's different to the Lotus one (ie it's not original) so i bought the real one in the Lotus sale all those moons ago.

I like the look but not 100% sure if it suits the S4+ shaped front. A friend thinks it looks too 'stick on' and I'm in semi agreement at the mo.

On the early models it looks fine as it suits that 'head on' look of the Stevens car - I think I'll fit it to the car properly and see how it looks before I make a decision, but in essence, yeah if it's going spare I'll let you know.

I've got one of these ready to go on my SE but I'm a little hesitant as the front can already sometimes scrape on speed bumps. If this is attached I'm worried it will end up being ripped off and taking the lower valance with it :P

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

does the s300 lip come with side sections that go on the wheel arches at the front?

i have massive downforce issue on the front, i have a blended and cut s350/v8 fibreglass

section but i was going to put a CF sheet under the front and stick it out 1" all the way round

the front.

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

Think you can buy those separately Karl, I think there on the the red car on the S4 wheel arch thread in stevens section.

thankyou my good man, im on the case

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

TBH Bibs it's not really that muck lower in essence becuase it's flexioble rubber it'll bend a lot before it starts tugging.

What you could do is fit it with a few sheer nuts / bolts so if that does happen the bolt will snap before the valance does.

hmmmm

2322761828_7520aa147e.jpg

2322765426_bf7c8a46ee.jpg

really dunno what to make of it.

2 issues really :

1) It flares out whilst the rest of the bumper is coming in, looks like a hover craft !

2) Profile of the car is wreacked as the lip just looks so low compared to the rest

Grrrr, I do do like the agressive look though....

(Oh I am totally aware of how dirty the car is, been sat there for 4 months !)

Edited by Jonathan

BlackSport300.jpg

Hi Jonathan, I have never seen a genuine 300 in the flesh but I always thought that the rubber part never looked like it fitted correctly with it buldging out, perhaps it were just part of that agressive racing look. I know in this pic its kinda blended in with the car being black but looks quite good. IMO the later ones like S350 and 2002 onwards are more fitting and refined with the extra plastic lip spoiler above the rubber to break it up a bit.

Edited by kyliesmith.com

350.gifNo.23

Hmmm. Not sure on that one Jon. Looks like its been punched and got a fat lip!

Seriously though, It does not look in proportion?

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

1) It flares out whilst the rest of the bumper is coming in, looks like a hover craft !

I think all the S300s have that problem but the contrast with the red bodywork makes yours more obvious.

2) Profile of the car is wreacked as the lip just looks so low compared to the rest

Have you considered getting the S350 body coloured bibs (I believe about

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Jonathon,

I love it. I really liked the idea but now its in pictures I think it looks great. Much more modern and purposeful as well as more aggressive. Looks ace in against the red too tho perhaps a few side on shots would give the proportions issue a little more clarity?

Am convinced its a major contribution to road science (sorry just wanted to say that).

Bet it would look like even better with a set of V8 arches!

:)

hmmmm

2322761828_7520aa147e.jpg

2322765426_bf7c8a46ee.jpg

really dunno what to make of it.

2 issues really :

Grrrr, I do do like the agressive look though....

(Oh I am totally aware of how dirty the car is, been sat there for 4 months !)

why waste time agonising? just drive it and have fun :)

Not really agonising, it's just 99.5% done and if I want to keep it this way I have to re-do some of the cowling underneath thats all, so there is more work than just bolting on.

Think I'll take it off actually, it's too deep and the bulge out just looks too exagerated around the sides.

The S300 has a much square'r nose so it suits it better, it also has those flares in front of the wheels (incorperated in the front bumper) so it would suit it better.

Oh well, solves that prob.

Was the lip a Lotus part or an aftermarket part? As mentioned earlier, the S300 & S350 have the same lip but he S350 has an extra fiberglass piece. I took the 'glass piece off. Here are a few pics:

0-60-Lotus_407.jpg

0-60-Lotus_451.jpg

After looking at Jonathan's pics, it does seem like it goes better with the more agressive V8 valance.

Edited by gmendoza

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq

Was the lip a Lotus part or an aftermarket part? As mentioned earlier, the S300 & S350 have the same lip but he S350 has an extra fiberglass piece. I took the 'glass piece off. Here are a few pics:

After looking at Jonathan's pics, it does seem like it goes better with the more agressive V8 valance.

Gonzalo I cant see how they can be the same. The S350 lower rubber lip is much smaller than the S300. A pic of my car I took at the weekend, notice the profile of it from the side and then compare to the 300. Perhaps ill measure it tonight.

heraldislandsideview.jpg

HeraldIslandHotrodshow9March08.jpg

350.gifNo.23