free hit
counters
Anyone Got Pics of GT1 Engine? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GrantTuscan

Anyone Got Pics of GT1 Engine?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for any photos showing the GT1's engine bay (or any other V8 racer). Showing the position of the turbos, roll cage etc. I'm thinking about extending the manifolds on my Esprit V8 project to allow the turbos to be positioned further back - the idea being to move the red-hot turbos away from the sides of the block to help cooling and also possibly allowing larger turbos to be fitted (GT28RS's).

I've already decided to lose the boot area so I'll have space to do it, and I'll also fit a mesh back panel between the rear lights to help vent heat from the engine bay.

Also any pics of the open GT1 style bonet that vents air from the water radiator up and over the car would be very useful too.

Thanks very much.

Grant

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Does this help?

http://www.lotusespritgt1.co.uk/intro.html

PS Did you get my email?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Hi Grant,

I have a great many images of the GT1 car and engine bay which I can send you, if you provide me with an external email address.

The race car engine position is much lower and further forward than that of the road car. The race car is also free of the backbone chassis/engine cradle constraints, which allow for optimal positioning of turbos etc. As it also uses a much shorter transverse gearbox, the driveshaft positions are very different. The point I

Edited by mike_sekinger

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Thanks for the info very useful. My e-mail is [email protected] GT1 pics very much appreciated. Good points re the length of manifold - the lag issue had occured to me.

Coating the turbos could help. The thing that worries me is that pistons 3 and 7 get a hard time cooling wise and I'm tring to think of anything that might improve cooling. Running air feeds to the turbo area may also help a bit too. I can't remember if there is enough space between the block and the turbo to get a sheet of the hi-tec heat shield material in with an air gap?

Images of the engine and coolant rad. are on the way.

If you are keeping the existing exhaust manifolds, then you can surround the turbine housing with a turbo beenie or hi-tech heat sheild. You will still have the heat from the exhaust manifold itself, but this is really next to the cylinder head.

You could always go for JET-HOT on both the exhaust manifold and the turbine housing - but I have no idea what this would do to the life of the manifold.

There is already a potential to route the airflow from the sill duct more directly towards the turbo to aide cooling. This combined with the installation of forged pistons and to increase the main rad. efficiency should leave you in great shape.

R&B in Germany have also designed a smaller diameter waterpump pulley, so that the flow is increased throughout the rev range.

......... having the heater running will also help in promoting the flow of coolant on the cylinders at the rear of the engine :harhar:

Cheers,

Mike S

Edited by mike_sekinger

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica