free hit
counters
Fans not working - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
red vtec

Fans not working

My Fans are not coming on, I left the car to idle yesterday and the temp got up to 100 on the guage, the fuses are fine. the other sympton I have is that the engine does not get hot on the guage when on the move. I gather this is down to a thermostat, but would that stop the fans coming on? Could it be a fan relay?

I have had a look at other posts on here but they refered to cras with ECU's I only have a carbed Turbo.

Thanks as always for th help.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Do the fans come on when you switch on your aircon?

May be an idea to check the fan motor fuses. As you say the fan relay could also be the culprit.

Regards,

Peter.

My Fans are not coming on, I left the car to idle yesterday and the temp got up to 100 on the guage, the fuses are fine. the other sympton I have is that the engine does not get hot on the guage when on the move. I gather this is down to a thermostat, but would that stop the fans coming on? Could it be a fan relay?

I have had a look at other posts on here but they refered to cras with ECU's I only have a carbed Turbo.

Thanks as always for th help.

First i would be cecking the relay in the boot fuse box. Check to see that it has power and the ecu is switching it on (giving the relay an earth). Mine is acting up and i've put it down to a faulty ecu, just waiting for one coming from Canada.

I dont have an ECU its to old for that. But i will check the fan relay

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

How are they switched on/off? The later delco ecu cars use the temp sensor in the head. Does yours have a separate sensor just for the fans?

Have no idea, I will try and take a look today.

Amateurs built the Ark

i checked my relays in the box under the front hood, they were all rattling and loose, the screws had worked their way loose, so i tightened these up and put all the relays back in and my problem went away . . .what was even stranger was that the fan fail light came on only when my headlights were on . . .strange . . .something tells me that this is not the end of my story . . .car never overheats and fans come on . . .

Early cars have otter switches in the hot water pipes, not sure if that's the same for early S cars as well, might be in the engine bay (90 degree pipe near rhs front of engine bay near alternator) or near rad (hidden by rhs wheel).

If you find one, they are simple switched activated at a set temperature so you can bridge the wires to see if the rest of the circuit works.

Andy

I have the same issue with my 88 turbo efi.

tried all switches and things and found that if the aircon is switched on then the fans come on. I found the only time i need the fans on is on a hot day, otherwise it runs around the 80 - 85c.

On these same hot days, i usually have the aircon working which activates the fans also, meaning problem...errr..not so much solved, but avoided for the time being,(last 2 years).

A friend of mine gave me an adjustable thermostat switch, that consists of a probe that you put into your radiator hose and run to your fans directly and has a couple of wires that you run to your fuse box and earth. it has a temperature control on it so you can have it turn your fans on at a temperature you self determine.

great device and very simple to install, just have not installed mine yet. You should be able to buy one from Halfords nice and cheap, here in OZ they are about $100 or GBP40.

Goodluck!

Justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

Hi her is the picture where you can find fan-swich and el. diagram it may help !

the Fan swich also connected to the fuse no. 13 2A !

Good luck

Y.Hotta

Edited by esp88

Thanks for all the help I will have a look friday. My A/C doesn't work as it has no gas so dont think that wil make any difference to the fans.

Thanks for all the help.

Amateurs built the Ark