free hit
counters
SJ rad fans - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
esprit s2

SJ rad fans

Hi,

Has anyone bought the replacement radiator fans from SJ Sportscars for their S1 or S2?

I've bought 3 but haven't really got a clue on what to fit them too.

If anyone has fitted them I would appreciate some pics to help me.

Thanks.

Paul

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Paul, I struggled for hours trying to fit the ones I bought from Steve at SJ for my S1 and in the end phoned him up! There is a picture on his website in the parts section that is confusing so ignore it because it has the fans fitted within the frame. The fans (I fitted three) all bolt to the front of the rad frame. I needed to drill 6 holes 2 for each fan after arranging them across the front. Good luck

Phil

This is odd. I thought the replacement fan units were to fit right into the old bolt holes - direct replacement. It appears from your pic Paul that the fans are to mount flat against the radiator. Got a pic of the fan unit handy?

I will have to look again...

Iain

[edit: hmmm - it does look vague in the SJ photo...]

Edited by iainskea

Hi Iain,

The pic I posted earlier is of the front of my radiator, Steve from SJ said thats where they should go. I haven't got any good pics of the fan units on their own but I do have this one. Not a very good pic but you may get the idea of what they look like.

Paul

Great photo Paul - classic Lotus position under the car in what looks like freezing cold conditions. Mind you, the car paint looks glimming! :)

I am keen to buy these fans from SJs - so it looks like Phil is going to have to come to the rescue with some installation pictures for both of us.

Iain

Edited by iainskea

For Iain in Oz

I took one of my lotus fans to a car airconditioning place & the matched it perfectly so I ended up with three fans instead of two - cost about A$10.00

xisab

I have performed yoga to photograph the fans for you. This is about the best I can manage at the moment because the car is nose in to my lockup which is not much bigger than the car. There are a few more photos here which may help . Phil

http://picasaweb.google.com/pjmleech/EspritS12

I have performed yoga to photograph the fans for you. This is about the best I can manage at the moment because the car is nose in to my lockup which is not much bigger than the car. There are a few more photos here which may help . Phil

You are the man! Much appreciated Phil.

Hello,

Fans are your front or behind the radiator mounted (in the direction of travel)?

armin

Hello,

Fans are your front or behind the radiator mounted (in the direction of travel)?

armin

Fans are in front of radiator

Phil

Fans are in front of radiator

Phil

Hello,

thank you, but who is the manufacturer and where to order the fans?

with kind regards

armin

Hmmm...

According to http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk/partsandacce...p;Submit=search

This is a modern fan & motro assembly, complete with stainless steel brackets to

mount in original position.

The original position for the fans with an upright radiator was behind the radiator not in front as somebody posted earlier?

According to SJ's website this is how they should be fitted...

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

I'd agree with Paul. There's no obvious reason why they would work better mounted on the front rather than the back (where they are originally) as long as they're blowing in the right direction. If you mount them on the front I would expect them to get quite a bit of battering from the elements and they'll be restricting airflow when you're moving!

Only my thoughts. Steve might have a good reason for front mounting.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Well that's Steve's picture from his website!! So I have no idea why he's now saying mount them at the front?

Mounting them on the chassis (as shown in the picture) makes more sense to me as it keeps them fixed and all the wiring can be tided up. If you then need to drop the radiator cowling for any reason you won't then have the fans dangling by the wiring. I also don't like the idea of drilling the radiator housing.

Out of interest which way do they turn? I presume they suck air from the front through the radiator? My car has never run during my ownership :P

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Hi Gang, Steve at SJ sportscars says put them at the front. They had trouble with them at the back and when I quizzed him about the photo on his website he agreed he needed to amend it as the picture is for the undertray and not the fans. The photo was taken before he had any problems with the fans at the back.

Phil