free hit
counters
Will a GT3 bumper fit an early stevens? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sacha

Will a GT3 bumper fit an early stevens?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hey Sacha

A friend did the opposite and put SE bumpers on his GT3 but it was an enormous and expensive job! I think the problems were with the oil cooler locations and ducts and the air ducts to the brakes etc. Took quite a lot of modification.

That's not to say the opposite would be much easier but from that I doubt it.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Quick answer.. yes! Quite easily too..

Just leave your oil cooler where it is now, and it won't cause you any problems. the side intakes (for the oil coolers on the later cars) will be empty inside, but that doesn't matter.

It also means you won't need all the ducting bits.

your current bumper will be a two piece jobby, whereas the later one is a one piece.

I have one fitted to mine, and it was a surprisingly simple job to do.

Tip of the day.. use stainless bolts/nuts when fitting it.. make removing it in the future a million times easier.. as you'll find when you go to take your old one off!

The same is true for the rear bumper as well. You'll need to fit a couple of little angle plates, available from Lotus, but the rear fits straight on with no trouble.

If you buy aftermarket ones made from Fibreglass (got mine from SJ Sportscars) then you also save about 6kg's per bumper as well.. which is nice..

If you want to fit side skirts, they are a lot harder. The old ones are bonded on, and have a duct that goes into the engine bay. You have to trash the old sills to get them off (well, I did anyway) and then cut the 'duct' thing off and bond it to the new sill. You can then stick the new ones one where the old ones were. I used polyeurethane and suitably placed rivets.

The front of the later sills are a bit shorter, to cope with the bigger wheels on the V8's.. so you'll need to do a little bit of fibreglassing once they're on.. nothing major really.

If you do take your sills off, I would STRONGLY reccomend ordering in advance, new bottom door mount brackets and the plate for the handbrake, complete with bolts. you'll find these will be rotten, and you can only change them with your sills off. If you get them in advance it will save the dilemma of whether to put the car back together as it is, or wait a week to order the bits you'll need.

Edited by Glyn Harper