free hit
counters
Waste gate assembly - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Michaelgh

Waste gate assembly

I stripped the waste gate down a couple of weeks ago to find the valve stuck and the diaphragm split, manage to free the valve and now got a new diaphragm can anyone refresh my memory on assembly.

From the bottom cup, then the diaphragm, 12mm spacer or does the diaphragm go above the 12mm spacer.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

no problem

top cup, then a gasketdiaphram gasket spacer, bottom cup.

with the valve stem, washer, top plate diaphram, under cup then nuts

heres a piccy i did a while ago

WASTEGATEINFO.jpg

diaphram2.jpg

the cup piece that goes underneath the diaphram goes in face up, the reason is the spring sits inside that to push up.

so to recap, first on goes any little washer that was there, then the first large aluminium washer disc, the diaphram, the under cup, then washer if there is one and the locking nuts.

this is done with the valve in the top cup. if you dont have the gaskets get some! you will need them.

Edited by bigsi

There was no gaskets when I remove it so why should i need them now, is your diagram from the replacement diapham as I have an original.

you have to have the gaskets in there,they are standard parts to go in there, they are there to prevent the diaphram melting and to create a barrier from them stiking to one surface, the guys at lotus told me in no uncertaiun terms do not fit the diaphram weithout the gaskets you have to have the gaskets, period|!

heres mine before fitting with gaskets, they make them for a reason, they are standard fit items for a reason.

DSCN5832.jpg

DSCN5833.jpg

Edited by bigsi

Did not have any gaskets on it when I stripped it down, I have the car 14 years and had no problems before but I will get some gaskets.

Did not have any gaskets on it when I stripped it down, I have the car 14 years and had no problems before but I will get some gaskets.

Mine didn't have them either. Might of been a later upgrade.

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

I believe it was a later improvement. Quite a common issue anyhow.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

A new diaphram will sort you! Used to get loads of 'sticking' issues. New 'Rubber' and its still OK even when I leave the car standing for six months!!!