free hit
counters
Radiator Bleed Plug leak - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Drfatz

Radiator Bleed Plug leak

The other night I finally got around to bleeding the coolant system on my 90 SE. Well when I reinstalled the bleed screw I noticed that it did not tighten until stop, but kept on turning. So I got it as snug as I could and ran the car again. Sure enough it started leaking coolant out of the plug once the car heated up. I did some searching and found this topic. Has anyone since come across a replacement part number for the bleed plug or is there something else I can do to seal up this hole? Surely this has happened to others.

Cheers,

Graham

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had the same problem years ago, the plug was plastic with an o-ring, but was completely the wrong thread. I replaced it with a brass adapter (BSP to NPT?) and a small twist-open brass valve from McMaster-Carr.

Edited by sanj

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

I had the same problem years ago, the plug was plastic with an o-ring, but was completely the wrong thread. I replaced it with a brass adapter (BSP to NPT?) and a small twist-open brass valve from McMaster-Carr.

Any idea what size adapter? Looks like i am going to have to drain the cooling system down some so that I can pull the plug out and investigate the threads a little more. I love McMaster and can get their parts delivered same day since I live only 15 minutes away from their warehouse B)

I replaced mine a couple months ago, I was told it's not manufactured by the original partnumber anymore but I bought a replacement plastic one from SJ Sportscars and it fits perfectly. Not a drop has leaked since then :) According to my parts list you should have the same radiator as my car, as long as you got the plastic wingnut located in the LH wheel arch.

Heres the SJ-partnumber:

SJ582

RADIATOR BLEED SCREW & WASHER

i took off my damaged o-ring and took it autoparts store

matched it up with $2 plug and installed new o-ring on Lotus plug

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

Any idea what size adapter? Looks like i am going to have to drain the cooling system down some so that I can pull the plug out and investigate the threads a little more. I love McMaster and can get their parts delivered same day since I live only 15 minutes away from their warehouse B)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure. All I remember is that the plastic plug, if it was even original, did not in any way mate with the threads in the radiator.

Edit: Found the receipt, McMaster p/n 4860K141, BSPT male to 1/8" NPT female adapter, plus p/n 4921K1, brass drain cock.

Edited by sanj

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

Unfortunately, I'm not sure. All I remember is that the plastic plug, if it was even original, did not in any way mate with the threads in the radiator.

Edit: Found the receipt, McMaster p/n 4860K141, BSPT male to 1/8" NPT female adapter, plus p/n 4921K1, brass drain cock.

Fantastic! I ordered them and they should be here possibly this afternoon. B)