free hit
counters
Running new wire to the doors - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Drfatz

Running new wire to the doors

I have been messing around with my window motors and tracks for sometime and they have not improved much. Both windows are slow and get stuck often. I think the next step is to take apart the motors and clean them up and run larger wiring to both motors. My question is how do I run new wire out to the doors? It seems that I need to actually remove the doors to do this. Is it easy to remove the doors? It seems that you have to remove the A-pillar trim to get at the top door nut, but I can't for the life of me get the DAMN A-PILLAR TRIM OFF!!! Its like the stupid trim is permanently welded on. The last thing I want to do is break the trim when I am SOOOO close to finishing up the car. Also I am installing nice thin speakers in both doors so I need to run speaker wire out there regardless of what happens with the window motors. Any help the wire running/A-pillar problem would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Graham

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Use a piece of thin metal rod (welding rod is normal for me) to get the wires through. Much easier then trying to re fit the door.

I've seen the A pillar trim held on by trim clips that just push in, and by screws.

Graham,

my car's Apillar trim was held on with clips but were very hard to remove. Also, you should be able to run new wire through the door without removing it. There is a rubber sleeve that you should be able to run new wire into.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Graham,

my car's Apillar trim was held on with clips but were very hard to remove. Also, you should be able to run new wire through the door without removing it. There is a rubber sleeve that you should be able to run new wire into.

Artie

Thanks guys. I will just give the A-Pillar trim another try tonight. Other then the clips where are the screws holding it on so that I have an idea where not to pull. As for the new wires I will dig around for a small rod and hopefully can make something happen.

-Graham

The clips are just slid onto the back of the fiberglass without screws. Once you remove the rubber door gasket/weather stripping I just use a long screwdriver to pry the trim piece off. I did break a couple of the clips trying to smack the piece back into place.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

The clips are just slid onto the back of the fiberglass without screws. Once you remove the rubber door gasket/weather stripping I just use a long screwdriver to pry the trim piece off. I did break a couple of the clips trying to smack the piece back into place.

Artie

Used a coat hanger and some finesse to run the wires out to the doors. Looks like I can leave the A-Pillar trim in place. Thanks for the help guys! :yes

My favorite trick for getting wires through small holes, especially existing grommets that already have wires going through them, is to poke the body of a Bic pen through the hole, run the wire through the pen body, then remove the pen. Voila!

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

^ there's always one smart alec ^

Dude that is a top tip!!!!