free hit
counters
Tyres - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

At about 65 mph I get some wheel shake. I've had the wheels balanced (didn't help) and it would appear that there are flat spots on front tyres. I guess that this is due to it standing for so long.

Can I do anything or do I have to live with it or change the tyres?

Would pumping them up high (say 40 psi) when the car is parked up for a while do any good?

Thanks

Bazza

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Im sure I saw some stuff on Frost website that you paint on to old tyres to makle them soft again. I just searched for it but couldnt find it doh! I think this stuff may be of use...if you can find it...if I didnt dream it!!?

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Given the number of pints my mate has bought him in the past I'd have thought your mate would part with it for a bit less... :)

Given the number of pints my mate has bought him in the past I'd have thought your mate would part with it for a bit less... :)

Yeah, but I guess he knows that what he has is like rocking horse sh1t, he would be well within his rights to put it on ebay with a high reserve....if he was bothered.

I can feel the love in this thread :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Whenever I remember to, I overinflate my tires when the car is going to sit for a while. I go almost up to the max psi stated on the tire. I have never had flat spots when I did this. Sometimes, I will try to push the car forward or back word a half a meter or so to keep it from sitting on the same spot just in case.

- T

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Tony - Good advice and I do exactly the same with the S3 but the Essex has been stood for the best part of 15 years by the PO and hence my problem.

It's been suggested that I could warm the tyres up with a bit of hard driving followed by a long trip up the motorway at 70 mph - it might help - any thoughts?

Chris - Appreciate that your friend sees this as a good way of advertising your, er sorry his, tyre but we both know that the said tyre is best part of 20 years old. Just accept the offer and think of the free beers that your 'friend' will be entitled to at Castle Coombe..

Bazza

Bazza,

For getting the flat spots out, I would definitely take it for a good drive on the warmest day possible when the roads are DRY, because the water will wisk away much of the heat you would otherwise generate. Also keep it off of the twisties. You could try overinflating it slightly for the drive, but then you run the risk of scary handling, and it's possible that being at the normal (or slightly low) pressure for the drive might work better -- more friction and therefore heat, and more flexing of the tread to hopefully work out the flat spots. I'm just thinking out loud here -- not pretending to know anything!

If you drive it several times for well into three digits' worth of miles and it doesn't work itself completely out, see if you can have a racing shop skim a little bit off of the tread to make it round again.

Just some suggestions!

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Hi

Usually flat spots should go away with driving.

But if your tires are older than 10 years it may be best to replace them. You can check the DOT on the sidewall.

Cheers

Marc

Put them in the tumble dryer for an hour, that should do the trick!

Let me guess... you just happen to have a mate with one to sell?! :) :)

Yes

When they were taken off to rebalance last week they went up and down (as well as round and round) when they were being spun. <_<

Is it not dangerous using such old tyres?. I read in a classic car mag that a man was killed when his MG blew a new tyre that he had bought, but which was manufactured in 1980.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Just thinking about the problem...how about jacking the car up, inflate the tyre to some astronomical (but safe!) figure - pick your own - put the flat spot at the bottom and attack it with a fan heater? Might help. Got to be some thermosetting stuff going on. Glad mine are OK...and the other two I have in stock..not new but bags of tread left. What happened to the "Get some firm to make us NEW TYRES" thread? Any progress?

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

found this by YOKOHAMA tyres. Has some interesting comments regarding storage and how flat spotting can dissappear after the car is driven and tyres warmed up unless stored for long periods.

click here

Edited by gghc87

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Cliff

That's interesting - thanks for posting.

Neil - yes they are the original 195 - 60 VR 15 NCT's

Maybe I'll wait and see if the warm weather helps the shape in the Summer. It's not dreadful but quite a wheel shake at 65-70 mph.

Bazza

found this by YOKOHAMA tyres. Has some interesting comments regarding storage and how flat spotting can dissappear after the car is driven and tyres warmed up unless stored for long periods.

click here

You on Yoko's now then Cliff?