free hit
counters
The UK Budget - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

The UK Budget

Kimbers

So it's 10% raise on alcohol, then 2% over inflation for the next 4 years. Increase in Road tax on any car over 130g/km Co2...thats 97% of cars at present. A Huge increase in car tax for over 200g/km Co2, Road pricing IS coming in by 2012, Cigerettes up 20%.......

So where's the decrease on our tax burden?

Sorry am so angry I'm speechless for the first time in years.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cameron seems to have grown a set at last. About time this shambles of a govt was shown to be what it is. But what the f%^k is going on with the liberals. they might as well all pack up and go home.

Can you not hear the Labour mantra?

TAX & SPEND

TAX & SPEND

TAX & SPEND......

I see alcohol is going up 6% on sunday thats really going to stop youth crime.....not

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

"Road pricing could reduce congestion and help our wider environmental problems" - he announced funds to test the technology.

I can't believe they are going for this again. It will cost hundreds of millions, doesnt stand a hope in hell of working like all government IT based schemes, and will increase congestion and pollution in populated areas as people try to avoid expensive routes. What planet are these people on.

Increase in Road tax on any car over 130g/km Co2...thats 97% of cars at present. A Huge increase in car tax for over 200g/km Co2, Road pricing IS coming in by 2012

Considering they have no emissions data for cars pre 2001, how can they identify older poluting cars?

Is it going to be engine size?

I see alcohol is going up 6% on sunday thats really going to stop youth crime.....not

You read this wrong mate. It's 6% OVER INFLATION. Thats nearly 10%. 55p on a bottle of spirits!

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

You read this wrong mate. It's 6% OVER INFLATION. Thats nearly 10%. 55p on a bottle of spirits!

Yep just seen oit!!! F%^k me I thought it was 6% then 4% above inflation, robbing bastard. well he has to pay

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

"""So it's 10% raise on alcohol, then 2% over inflation for the next 4 years. Increase in Road tax on any car over 130g/km Co2...thats 97% of cars at present. A Huge increase in car tax for over 200g/km Co2, Road pricing IS coming in by 2012, Cigerettes up 20%.......""""

As we were discussing recently on another thread.....

It gives us about 3.5 years to organise escape from the

loons,

tree huggers

and

fundaMENTALISTS.....

that unfortunatley run things now - be it red, blue or those "middle" ones who no one listens to or know the names of........

the problem is tho of course that now the ecomony is ****ed and prices for everything have gone thro the roof it'll take twice as long to sell up save up and FO than it would have done :)

fed up - better go to the pub now before they ban/tax/regulate them too.....

Cheers - jim

I'm speechless for the first time in years.

:)

Sorry Tony, you know I don't mean it really. Every year I just hang my head at the budget, I never seem to be in the group of people that benefit from any changes and with no pay rise for me for the foreseeable future it's all doom & gloom.

I think I might give up work, become a drug taking, alcoholic, baby making machine and perhaps I can live on handouts like so many seem to do :)

Duty on a bottle of spirit to increase by 55p

The price of a bottle of wine will rise by 14p

pint of beer will increase by 4p.

A packet of 20 cigarettes now 11p more expensive.

A packet of five cigars will rise by 4p.

(the Chancellor plans to bring in

People always just alwasy have to have a winge about the tax and the budget, regardless of what goes on.

People either don't know or don't realise the government has to balance the books, money has to be spent on thousand different things to give us all the things we expect in our society, roads, police, schools, health, social services, etc etc etc. We can only get what we pay for. If society as a whole wants to put less in we can only expect less we can take out. No Police, crap roads, long NHS queues, no unemployment benefit, paying for our kids education directly.

Okay, I know its far more complicated than that and a massive generalisation and there are all sorts of side issues like re-distribution of wealth that people argue about..

Its just like the house you live in but on a massive scale. Money in = Money available to go out.

Jeff H

I think some would argue Jeff that already there is not enough police, crap roads and long NHS queues. When the cost of this keeps going up & no improvement is seen it's no wonder people will have a whinge.

The problem is Jeff that there is more tahn enough money already. It is just wasted in bucket fulls. the solution is not tax more, but in fact don't waste what you have. hey they could call that a budget!!

Amateurs built the Ark

Quote Budget 2008

Page 50

'Road pricing and active traffic management

3.42 Costs of congestion are forecast to more than double by 2025. Budget 2008 reaffirms

the commitment to exploring national road pricing to tackle congestion and emissions. It

announces an invitation to the private sector to run a number of projects based on charging

by time of day, distance travelled and route chosen. The Government will make available

sufficient funding to ensure that these projects help answer the crucial questions on

feasibility, cost effectiveness, privacy and the impact of real financial incentives on driver

behaviour. Budget 2008 also confirms additional funding to help local authorities develop

proposals for charging schemes, which will be taken forward consistent with consideration of

a national scheme.'

Maybe I have missed it, but cant see where is says how much this is going to cost?

Edited by gghc87

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

I believe the true phrase is

Those that put in do not, in the large, recieve the benefits which come out!!

Bang on. Its the ever increasing 'DSS Underclass' that sees the majority of the benefits. I don't think that anyone would argue that the books have to balance, but it is the horrendous wastage and money to undeserving quarters that gets peoples back up. For the amount of tax burdon we have, we should already have the best hospitals, schools, emergency services, public amenities on the face of the planet.

Edited by JPL76

I'm sorry Jeff, but if the money going out includes Several hundreds of Billions of pounds to hold up Northern Rock then we are just paying for incompetance.

And here's a few other examples taken from press releases:

"The government announced the budget for the Games had risen from

What really gets my goat with congestion charging (aside from the fact that certain authorities deliberately make congestion worse to justify such schemes) is that when they mention times of charging, we all know this is obviously going to be at the busiest times, i.e 7am-10am then 3.30pm-7pm, or something along those lines. Basically hitting only the poor hard working sods who struggle into work every day and already have the privilage of handing massive amounts of their hard earned over to the treasury. Once again, hitting the working, tax paying decent people to pay for the paracitical scum living off governement hand outs.

Sorry, rant over.

If I were to defend the QS's on the Olympics the original governmental cost brief omitted the infrastructure and associated services plus proffessional fees and land aquisition.

Please do not shoot me, the rope hangin ou the back of me is the party line on this one!!

To be honest

I hear people talking here who haven't had any academic training in finance and doubt work in finance industry (call center staff don't count here.. lol)..

The country is just like a family household, lets say your one of the children. The household has only so much money in - Dad working full time, mum works part time. The household has two types of expenditure money that must be paid out, mortgage, rates, heating, lighting etc. and money spent on extras like cars, holidays, xmas pressies, nice clothes, etc.

Now, lets say dad pisses up a large proportion of his limited wages in the pub (or runs an Esprit - same thing really) - Well that what its like living in a corupt third world country. The money is there but not being distributed properly...

Lets say Dad's decides that your education is a family priority, and will sacrifice his nice fast sports car and holidays overseas to put you through a private education. Well that's what its like living in say Sweden, where as an adult you would be paying about 40% tax however education and child welfare services are very generous indeed.

Or maybe you have a gifted older borther who gets to a top university on a long education course but will end up with a great job at 25, nice for him. Again that has to be funded so you as the family thicko has to get a job at 16 and pay your way.. as the families budget doesn't stretch to 2 kids at university - well that might be America with a large spread between the have's and the have nots.

The point is there is no 'ideal' that will keep everyone happy, in fact in even the fairest case 90% will moan. But the countries budget equation remains a simple one. You can only get out (as a whole) what has been put in.

Yes, people will always argue, that they haven't 'personally' seen any benefit for the additional police funding. And that 'you' as an individual feel abused by the tax system. or the people WE as a society put into power are incompetent in there distribution of tax revenues. But personally, I'd rather pay a few hundred pounds more a year in tax and social services get maybe 10% more funding, 9% or which they waste, if it can pick up on 1% more of abuse children.

Similarly, I find speed cameras are good for me personally, because I don't tend to speed much and the more money they raise the less tax I might have to pay. I also love the fact that on the school run my pre 2002 gas guzzling Esprit V8 pays far less road tax than a post 2002 4x4 baby buggy - for now at least. Or, that I'm gonna pay

Edited by jeff_hooper

What you say Jeff is totally correct, but the problem is wasteage. I dont think any of us mind paying taxes if it actually goes to a good cause, but so much is just blatently squandered.

Anyone who knows anyone who works for the NHS will tell you how chief executives last about 2 years at each hospital, during which time they move all departments around, including X-ray departments requiring new lead lined rooms to be built etc. When complete, a new chief exec moves in, and moves everything around again. The service provided is not improved in the slightest, but millions of pounds are constantly being wasted.