free hit
counters
S2 Bent chassis - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
white s2

S2 Bent chassis

I have an esprit s2 with a possible chassis problem!

The drivers side rear wheel has always leaned inwards slightly (triumph spitfire style) compared to the other three wheels which are 90deg to he floor. I have always thought there was something amiss with the suspension on the drivers side.

However looking at photos of an orange s1 outside lotus factory on internet it seems that the rear wheels do seem to have a camber to them, so I had a poke around on the nearside suspension with the upright rear wheel, nothing looks wrong but I did notice that the upper tubular part of the engine cradle has a flat spot in the tubing.

I take it it should not be there?! There is no obvious body damage but Im beginning to think perhaps it has slid wide and clouted a kerb with the offside wheel and bent the chassis? Can the chassis be bent in this way? Wishbone looks okay

Any advice greatly received!!

Edited by white s2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome to the forum, C.

According to Lotus Esprt World, the S2 has 0 to 0.5 degrees of camber which is not a lot. I believe it is set by shims where the driveshaft is bolted to the disc. Perhaps your car has the wrong amount.

I would have thought that the lower link would fold before the chassis bent. To put the camber out, I think the gearbox would need to be twisted about a longitudunal axis.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Check the play in the rear wheel as well, grab the wheel at the top and pull out, if you feel movement then it is probably the bearing inside the transmission, as the driveshaft also serves as the upper wishbone.

I take it it should not be there?!

Correct - it shouldn't be there! Do you have any pictures? How bad is the flat spot?

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Off topic...sorry...Jason! Lotusross! What's that V12 doing in your avatar?????!!!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Off topic...sorry...Jason! Lotusross! What's that V12 doing in your avatar?????!!!!

Well, I figured that my Esprit needed a V12, so I put one in. I actually wanted an old Indy Car V8 (Ford Cossie) - but the cost was out of this world.

So I put the BMW M70 V12 in it, it's not running yet, but it is 90% complete. The body is on the car, V12 attached and in the car, I am working on electrical now.

If I could figure out how to post pictures, I would.

Funny - I understand the BMW v12 fuel injection by reading wiring diagrams, and I have 90% of over 120 wires connected, but I am too stupid to shrink photo's and post them .

V12 in an Esprit - You serious Jason?

Please post pics if you can :( I've played with those lumps before and stuck them in some replicas and are awesome motors. Really didn't think it would be possible to shoehorn one of those into the Esprit engine bay though... If you've done it, I'd appreciate sharing how???

P.S. When anyone ignorant asked what engine was in the back of my Turbo, I always told 'em a V12...

Email the pics to [email protected] and I'll post them for you, or upload them to http://www.photobucket.com

I'd love to see them too :(

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Cockpit1.jpg

Cockpitlookingback.jpg

FullView1.jpg

Lotusoffframe2.jpg

Lotusoffframe3.jpg

Lotusonframe1-1.jpg

Rideheight.jpg

Lotusonframe1.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Bl**dy Hell! That's fantastic. I can't wait to see that go! Lovely four stud split rims on the front too, yum!

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Did you fall and hit your head when you were young Jason? PS. are you still in line for the rear caliper rebuild kits?

I may have hit my head once or twice. Actually, now that I think of it, I did hit my really hard in a skiing accident about 14 years ago.

Wait a minute - after that I put a V8 in my Fiero. Maybe there is a connection - hmmmmmm.

And yes, my friend, I still need that rebuild kit.