free hit
counters
Heater control (hot water flow valve) - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
simonf

Heater control (hot water flow valve)

Having extracted my engine last weekend (from the car guys - not my arse! <_< ) i thought this would be the perfect time to look at the hot water flow valve as my heater has never worked - does anybody have any ideas where i might find it? Also how is the vacuum created to assist the servo, i havn't seen any pumps!!

BTW my car is a '84 S3 Turbo

Many thanks

Simon

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

THe hot water valve lurks under the instrument panel/dashboard somewhere..I've never managed to either see it or put a finger on it. My heater never worked, either, until I backflushed it with full mains water pressure when I last had the engine out..a great wodge of unspeakableness shot out of the hose, narrowly missed me, and smeared itself over the workshop window!! Heater works fine, now. Brake servo vacuum comes from the inlet manifold..there are two pipes along the manifold, one for water and one for vacuum..this one has two rubber pipes coming from it at the sprocket end, one goes to operate the heater air flaps and the other is the source for the servo..there's a reservoir under the panel to the right of the engine, by the rear quarter window. If you ever do find the heater valve, please let me know where you found it!! Cheers..JD

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Well done John, i will try to remove the 'Unspeckableness' by using back pressure! No way am i hunting for the valve if its under the dash - its a mine field in there of wires (most of which spark and short if you touch them) so best left well alone!

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Well done John, i will try to remove the 'Unspeckableness' by using back pressure! No way am i hunting for the valve if its under the dash - its a mine field in there of wires (most of which spark and short if you touch them) so best left well alone!

Just got my heater working by back flushing... the heater valve is above the peddle box under the dash. you can see it if you remove the cover off the blower motor in the front compartment then put the air flap to recirculate and look through the flap above the servo......Oh you can get to the brake light switch this way as well.

I bypassed mine with a length of tube and found out that this was not the cause, recomend the back flush first, it was a Bast"

Thanks andy - helpful information, i just hope that back flush works coz i have fingers of butter when it comes to anything fiddly!

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Extra info

Early cars with no Air con have no valve. Like my S2 (1980)

No flow means blocked core and no pre heat for carbs.

Heat control is solely by air control

We just took the radio out from my car and checked that heater knob works properly and also checked pipes behind the radio. My heater has never worked also :) Fan works fine and some previous owner had ditched the air con compressor...

So how we will flush the system, Jussi2 just suspected also that system might be blocked. We took out that housing on the fan, which is in boot, so do we flush from there?

Thanks,

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+