free hit
counters
Capping rail trim - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
trackmagic

Capping rail trim

Has anyone come up with a creative replacement for the silver plastic capping rail trim. I was hoping someone might have found some typer of rubber to use instead.

Thanks,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

my nice new capping rail trim arrived today from paul mattys, he has them in stock, i took my main rails off to rub them back and repaint them the otherday as they needed it now, the edge strip just crumbled away as after 24years it had become rotten and brittle, now i can replace it with a nice new shiny set.

you need to cut some of the side edge away as only a small section needs to stay where it goes down the side of the windscreen.

here you go

DSCN6171.jpg

DSCN6172.jpg

DSCN6173.jpg

DSCN6174.jpg

The original stuff, as bigsi demonstrates, is the way to go, because the clear part is riveted to the body, and the chrome "c" channel part that you see also serves the function of holding the capping rail in place along the top edge.

However, if you don't want to put in the work or absolutely can't stand having little chrome strips on your Esprit, then you can buy a roll of door edge guard at an auto body supply place. You will then have to find creative ways to keep the inside edge of the capping rail from lifting and/or making weird noises at speed. It will want to peel away at the base of the windshield when you are going fast with the headlamps raised, and it will be kind of free-floating at the rear above the quarter windows.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

i will do a how to install photo doodat as i usually do that will show the whole installation process. i will give it to kato as well so he can put it on his site too.